Cuisine at home Forums
Oh Billy would so love this! - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Oh Billy would so love this! (/showthread.php?tid=104731)

Oh Billy would so love this! - Harborwitch - 07-22-2010

This is one absolutely incredible cake. I'm glad I have rhubarb in the freezer!

Lemon Buttermilk Rhubarb Bundt Cake
from Rustic Fruit Desserts

Cake

2 1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
1 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon fine sea salt
1 cup unsalted butter
1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
zest of 1 lemon
3 eggs
1/2 teaspoon lemon oil (i used lemon extract)
3/4 cup buttermilk
1 pound rhubarb, trimmed and very thinly sliced (3 cups prepped)

Lemon Glaze

2 cups confectioners sugar, more as needed
Juice of 1 lemon
1 tablespoon nearly melted butter

Preheat oven to 350. Butter a 10-cup bundt pan.

To make the cake, sift the 2 1/2 cups flour, the baking powder and salt together in a bowl. Using a handheld mixer with beaters or a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, cream the butter, sugar and lemon zest together on medium-high speed for 3 to 5 minutes, until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, scraping down the sides of the bowl after each addition, then stir in the lemon oil. Stir in the flour mixture in three additions alternating with the buttermilk in two additions, beginning and ending with the flour mixture and scraping down the sides of the bowl occasionally. The batter will be very thick.

Toss the rhubarb with the 2 tablespoons of flour and fold half into the batter. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and sprinkle the remaining rhubarb on top.

Bake for 30 minutes, then rotate the pan and cook for an additional 30 minutes, or until the center springs back when lightly touched. Cool the cake in its pan on the wire rack for 30 minutes before inverting and removing the pan.

To make the lemon glaze, whisk the confectioners sugar, lemon juice and butter together. The mixture should be thick. If it’s not, whisk in another tablespoon or two of the sugar. Spread the glaze over the cake as soon as you remove it from the pan.

Re: Oh Billy would so love this! - Gourmet_Mom - 07-22-2010

Funny, I STILL haven't tried rhubarb. And I so rarely see it around here.

Re: Oh Billy would so love this! - HomeCulinarian - 07-22-2010

that sounds good!

Re: Oh Billy would so love this! - luvnit - 07-22-2010

Yes he would Sharon. As a matter of fact, I think this is just the sort of recipe he would share with us all. I love rhubarb and am excited to try this one. My husband mowed over my rhubard though. I will have to wait for the store to have some, or next season.

Funny thing about the rhubarb though. The reason my hubby mowed over the 4-5 plants I had... He thought they were too small and were not growing well. He thought if he mowed over them that they would come back healthier.

Well in part he was correct, but the fact was I had planted dwarf (pie) rhubarb and it doesn't get very big. Oh well, no big loss. They will still grow back next year.

Re: Oh Billy would so love this! - Harborwitch - 07-22-2010

My rhubarb is in Joan's yard in CA. I sent her the recipe since she also has huge lemons on her tree.

Re: Oh Billy would so love this! - Lorraine - 07-22-2010

I'm liking it also! Don't see any rhubarb around here, but will look for it frozen in Baltimore. Thanks!

Re: Oh Billy would so love this! - cjs - 07-22-2010

wow, my rhubarb is perfect for this = will make next week! thanks Sharon and yes, right up Mr. Billy's alley.

Re: Oh Billy would so love this! - Harborwitch - 07-23-2010

My first bite made me think of him.