Cuisine at home Forums
weird mushroom? - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: weird mushroom? (/showthread.php?tid=107035)

weird mushroom? - chef_Tab - 08-30-2010

My friend Joe gave me what appears (and smells) like a very large mushroom last night. His wife called it a "puff ball". They say these things pop up occasionally on their property near a pond and they are ok to eat. It is about as large as a guinea pig and has an irregular shape. Anyone else familiar with these? I am thinking about slicing it and using it as a pizza topping but I don't want to ruin a pizza.

Re: weird mushroom? - cjs - 08-30-2010

Theresa, let me go look at C2C - I think we used these at a fund raiser dinner in CO a few years ago....we used them somewhere.....sometime.

Re: weird mushroom? - Old Bay - 08-30-2010

My first thought is to ask them to eat one in front of you. If they don't get sick use them the next day. I love mushrooms, I just don't pick them myself!!

Re: weird mushroom? - chef_Tab - 08-30-2010

I think this is what I have! I will cut it up and saute it for now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calvatia_gigantea

wow, I even found your discussion on c2c, Jean. That was back in 2004! It was a Jon posting about a giant puffball mcmuffin. Lorraine, and Chef June were also involved. It was fun reading. I guess we can't accuse you of CRS anymore.

Yet another update, I sliced it, seasoned with s&p then fried in some olive oil. They are quite tasty! I wish I had more to play with. I am thinking cooked up in some sage butter would be yummy. I am going to put some on one of the pizzas.

Re: weird mushroom? - HomeCulinarian - 08-30-2010

You are brave!

Re: weird mushroom? - BarbaraS - 08-30-2010

Why does the movie "The Beguiled" suddenly come to mind?

Barbara

Re: weird mushroom? - pjcooks - 08-30-2010

I'd try it after you!

Brave, indeedConfusedmile;

PJ

Reporting in that we ate well over an hour ago and are still alive