Cuisine at home Forums
Next Review Dinner recipes - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Next Review Dinner recipes (/showthread.php?tid=107907)

Next Review Dinner recipes - Mare749 - 09-14-2010

Here are the recipes for the next review dinner from the current issue. Review date will be Monday, Sept. 27. I won't be here, so I'll email my review to Jean before I leave town. I liked this recipe because they gave other suggestions for the meat, so thought it might appeal to everyone.

* Exported from MasterCook *

STEAK GOULASH STEW

Recipe By :Cuisine at Home
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time 30-35 minutes
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1/4 cup all purpose flour
2 Tablespoons sweet Hungarian paprika -- divided
1 teaspoon each, kosher salt and black pepper
1 1/2 pounds sirloin steak, trimmed -- sliced into 2" strips
4 strips bacon -- diced (4 oz.)
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 cup sliced onion
1 Tablespoon minced garlic
1 Tablespoon tomato paste
1 teaspoon caraway seeds (optional)
2 cups low sodium beef broth
1/2 cup sliced roasted red pepper
1 Tablespoon (or 2 T. if you want) red wine vinegar
Sour cream, fresh dill sprigs, and prepared horseradish.

Combine flour, 1 T. paprika, salt and black pepper in a paper bag. Add steak and toss to coat with flour mixture and set aside.

Cook bacon in a saute pan until crisp. Remove bacon to a paper-towel-lined plate and set aside.

Add oil to pan with drippings, heat over medium until shimmering. Sear steak strips in two batches, 1 minute per side. Remove steak strips to a plate;set aside..

Saute onion and garlic in same pan over medium-high heat, 2-3 minutes. Stir in tomato paste, 1 T paprika, caraway seeds and remaining flour mixture from bag; cook 1-2 minutes.

Deglaze the pan with broth, scraping up bits on bottom of pan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer stew until thickened, about 5 minutes.

Add steak with residual juices, sliced peppers and vinegar; simmer 3 minutes. Season stew with salt and black pepper.

Serve stew with Sour Cream and Horseradish Noodles. Garnish each serving with sour cream, dill, horseradish, and bacon.

SOUR CREAM & HORSERADISH NOODLES
Makes 6 cups

8 oz. dry wide egg noodles
1/2 cup sour cream
2 T, chopped fresh dill
1 T. prepared horseradish
Salt to taste

Cook noodles in a pot of boiling salted water according to package directions; drain.

Combine sour cream, dill and horseradish in a large bowl. Toss noodles with sour cream mixture and season with salt.

Description:
"Cuisine at Home Issue 83, October 2010, page 11"
Yield:
"4 cups"

NOTES : Lean, tender cuts of meat, like pork tenderloin, sirloin steak, and chicken breast, eliminate the need for long-simmering stew.

Re: Next Review Dinner recipes - karyn - 09-14-2010

Sounds good! After the success of the Quick Chicken Marengo, I'm excited to try this one as well.

Re: Next Review Dinner recipes - labradors - 09-14-2010

Speaking of review dinners, there hasn't been any mention of birthday-review dinners in a while. For example, Sharon, Denise and others were in August, and there were birthday wishes, but no review dinners. Just too much else going on right now?

Re: Next Review Dinner recipes - cjs - 09-14-2010

I was holding my breath that someone whould chooose a b'day dinner, but nada. That's why I went ahead. Maybe one day a b'day guy/gal will chooose.

Maryann, menu sounds really good. I think I'm going with the long-cookin' style and let the whole house smell good for a while.

Re: Next Review Dinner recipes - Gourmet_Mom - 09-14-2010

Oh, I had this one marked! Good pick, Maryann! I think I've got everything to make this, so I'll probably make it this weekend. The nights here are cooling down enough that this will be a nice dinner. Thanks Maryann!

Re: Next Review Dinner recipes - Mare749 - 09-14-2010

"Maryann, menu sounds really good. I think I'm going with the long-cookin' style and let the whole house smell good for a while."

But, but, but......the whole idea is to make a stew in 30 minutes out of lean cuts of meat!

Re: Next Review Dinner recipes - foodfiend - 09-14-2010

DH picked up our mail today and this issue was in the bin-- guess which magazine I opened first?!

This sounds like a perfect dinner for a rainy day, which we are *supposed* to have a couple of later on this week. I can't believe that I am saying this, but I'm looking forward to a few meals that do not feature seafood!

Re: Next Review Dinner recipes - Mare749 - 09-14-2010

Welcome home, Vicci!

Re: Next Review Dinner recipes - cjs - 09-15-2010

oh, well, guess I'd better look at it again...

Re: Next Review Dinner recipes - Harborwitch - 09-15-2010

It sounds awfully good - and doable in the motorhome!