Cuisine at home Forums
Stir-Frying to the Sky's Edge - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Stir-Frying to the Sky's Edge (/showthread.php?tid=109506)

Stir-Frying to the Sky's Edge - cjs - 10-17-2010

Got a new book last week, Grace Young's Stir-Frying.... and it is a great book. It's not an Asian cookbook, but rather it is the result of taking the stir-fry method of cooking wherever Chinese immigrants migrated to from China. They kept their beloved stir-fry, but adapted to the ingredients of their adopted countries.

Really some interesting combinations -
Jamaican Jerk Chicken fried rice
or
Chinese Peruvian Stir-Fried filet mignon

I also finally replaced my old nothing wok that I have hated ever since someone gave it to me years ago. Don't know why it took so long to replace - I hope I live long enough for a wonderful patina to develop!!!!!

I bought a 14" flat bottomed carbon steel that I have been yearning for. I'm keeping it on the stove, so I'll continually use it for a few months. I'm excited.

Re: Stir-Frying to the Sky's Edge - Gourmet_Mom - 10-17-2010

That cookbook sounds great! So does the wok!

Re: Stir-Frying to the Sky's Edge - Harborwitch - 10-17-2010

That sounds like a cool cookbook. Somewhere I saw that fillet Mignon stir fry and it looked really really good.

Re: Stir-Frying to the Sky's Edge - Lorraine - 10-17-2010

Thanks, Jean, sounds like a good book. We finally broke down and bought a new wok, a great big cast iron one from the Indian store. We're going to try it out at the winery on the gas stove.

Re: Stir-Frying to the Sky's Edge - Mare749 - 10-18-2010

Lorraine, I've never seen a cast iron wok. That's going to be one "hot" pot! I would love to see a picture of it when you get a chance.

Jean, you will love the flat-bottom wok. My girls gave me one several years back and it's been one of my "go to" pans ever since. I use it for all kinds of things, even risotto.

Re: Stir-Frying to the Sky's Edge - cjs - 10-18-2010

One suggestion she mentioned I found very interesting -

"I used the wok to make popcorn. A few years ago I discovered that after making popcorn in my wok its patina was darker in color and was also more fortified. As the corn pops, it evenly disperses a light coating of oil around the wok's entire inside surface, which the heat then burns in. Of course, popping corn will not make a new wok suddenly look or behave like a thirty-year-old pan!"

Interesting, huh? This is a neat book - maybe the first I'll try is "Hong Kong-Style Mango Ginger Chicken" oh my, sounds so good.

Re: Stir-Frying to the Sky's Edge - Harborwitch - 10-18-2010

Now then - did I bring the lid for the wok???? Maybe not - it was glass. Darn!

Re: Stir-Frying to the Sky's Edge - Mare749 - 10-18-2010

That dish sounds very good, Jean. What a great idea to pop corn in a new wok to help season it.

Sharon, my wok didn't come with a lid for some reason and I wanted one, so I went to one of those kitchen stores at an outlet mall and bought a "universal" lid for it. It doesn't fit tight, but works for my purposes.