Cuisine at home Forums
an interesting article - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: an interesting article (/showthread.php?tid=109579)

an interesting article - foodfiend - 10-18-2010

from this week's Serious Eats newsletter...

http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/10/the-f...tm_medium=email

Re: an interesting article - Gourmet_Mom - 10-18-2010

Interesting, Vicci. The first one brings back the reverse searing technique discussed on here before.

Re: an interesting article - Cubangirl - 10-19-2010

I love Kenji and can't wait until his book The Food Lab: Better Home Cooking Through Science comes out next year. His recipes are always spot on. His Chicken Canzanese (CI 5/2010) is fantastic, combining crispy skin with fork tender chicken and a great sauce. I just copied his no waste carnita recipe from the Serious Eats site. It seems simple and requires no lard.

Re: an interesting article - cjs - 10-19-2010

Hmmmmmm....

Saw a couple of recipes that sounds really yummy.

Re: an interesting article - labradors - 10-20-2010

Quote:

The Food Lab: Better Home Cooking Through Science

You may also like THIS, then.

Re: an interesting article - foodfiend - 10-20-2010

Wow, what an informative site! Thanks for the link, Rob. I have to explore it more in depth this evening. Looks very interesting...

Doesn't it look great? I just read about it yesterday and haven't had a chance to check it in depth, but just that one page, alone, has a lot of good info.

Re: an interesting article - Harborwitch - 10-20-2010

Interesting.

Somewhere I saw an article on cooking pasta - put dry pasta in a pot just big enough to hold it, cover with cold water and bring to a boil, take off heat and let set for the recommended cooking time. It works!

I thought this would be great in the summer, no huge pots of boiling water on the stove. Sadly - I keep forgetting.

Re: an interesting article - Gourmet_Mom - 10-20-2010

Great tip, Sharon. And thanks for the site, Labs. I'll check it out more closely this weekend....if I remember.

Quote:

...put dry pasta in a pot just big enough to hold it, cover with cold water and bring to a boil, take off heat and let set for the recommended cooking time. It works!

Also, if HUGE amounts of water were really necessary, products such as "Hamburger Helper" would never work. That's also why I've had such good results using fresh ingredients and regular, packaged pasta to make my own "Helper" meals. Certainly costs a lot less than the processed, pre-packaged "Helpers," too.