Cuisine at home Forums
Grilled Salmon with Melted Tomatoes - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Grilled Salmon with Melted Tomatoes (/showthread.php?tid=109742)

Grilled Salmon with Melted Tomatoes - foodfiend - 10-21-2010

I have to share this one.

I was going to make the salmon with bourbon glaze last night, but then remembered this recipe I had seen in the August F&W. I have a lot of tomatoes and a lot of jalapeno peppers, so I decided to make it. And how good it was!

The thing about the peppers-- they didn't add much heat at all. I had deseeded them completely, so next time I've noted to seed only about half. I ended up sprinkling powdered jalapeno over to get a little more of a "bite".

Anyway, this was very quick and incredibly good. I served w/ garlic mashed potatoes and green beans.

[Image: JalapenoSalmon.jpg]

* Exported from MasterCook *

Grilled Salmon with Melted Tomatoes

Recipe By:adapted slightly from Marcia Kiesel
Servings: 5

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
3 tablespoons olive oil
5 whole jalapenos
2 pounds red ripe tomatoes -- coarsely chopped
32 ounces salmon fillet -- cut into two pieces

Remove stem from jalapenos and slice thinly. For a mild dish, remove all seeds and transfer the pepper "circles" to a plate. The more seeds that are left with the peppers, the hotter the finished dish will be.

In a large, deep skillet heat olive oil. Add the jalapenos in a single layer and cook over moderately low heat without stirring until softened, about 6 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the jalapenos to a small plate and set aside.

Preheat a grill or grill pan.

Add the chopped tomatoes to the skillet and cook over high heat until they release their juices, about 4 minutes. Using a slotted spoon transfer the tomatoes to a bowl, the boil the remaining tomato juices in the pan over high heat or until thickened, adding any additional accumulated juices from the bowl. * Return the tomatoes to the skillet and season with salt.

Rub the salmon on both sides with olive oil, and grill over moderate heat for about 5 minutes, turn carefully with a wide
spatula, season with s & p and continue to grill until the salmon is opaque in the center (3-6 minutes, depending on the thickness of the fish).

Toward the end of the grilling time, reheat the tomatoes gently in the pan. Spoon the tomatoes and their juices onto a serving platter, place the salmon fillets on top, and cover the fish with the jalapenos.

Source:
"Food & Wine, August 2010"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per serving: 321 Calories (kcal); 15g Total Fat (2g Saturated); (42% calories from fat); 38g Protein; 8g Carbohydrate; 94mg Cholesterol; 137mg Sodium
Food Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 5 Lean Meat; 1 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 1 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates

NOTES : *- I must have used "meatier" tomatoes than the person who developed the recipe because I didn't have a lot of excess tomato juices. The was so little that I decided that they would probably burn in the pan if I tried to reduce them. So I killed that entire step of removing the tomatoes from the pan and reducing the excess juices.

Oh, and I also simplified the cooking process for the fish. The recipe was originally for 10 people, using a single 4-1/2 pound salmon fillet. There were instructions for using foil to place the fish on the grill, then using more foil to flip it whole to grill the other side. I halved the recipe and cut the 2-pound piece of salmon in half which was a perfectly manageable-with-a-spatula size.

edited to add sat fat number...

Re: Grilled Salmon with Melted Tomatoes - Gourmet_Mom - 10-21-2010

Sounds good, Vicci! Copied and saved. Thanks!

Re: Grilled Salmon with Melted Tomatoes - Harborwitch - 10-21-2010

Very pretty - and sounds very very good. Thank you for sharing this one - Bob will like this.

Re: Grilled Salmon with Melted Tomatoes - Mare749 - 10-21-2010

Beautiful dish, Vicci! Thanks for sharing.

Re: Grilled Salmon with Melted Tomatoes - HomeCulinarian - 10-22-2010

Have to try this! We have tomatoes and peppers like crazy!

Re: Grilled Salmon with Melted Tomatoes - cjs - 10-22-2010

Oh my, sounds very good.