Cuisine at home Forums
How do you clean mushrooms? - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: How do you clean mushrooms? (/showthread.php?tid=110226)

How do you clean mushrooms? - Mare749 - 10-29-2010

Ron loves mushrooms, so I use them often. I have such a problem with just wiping them off with a damp cloth which is what the TV cooks seem to do. What about dirt, germs, bacteria, etc? It just seems to me that they should be thoroughly washed with water!

Re: How do you clean mushrooms? - HomeCulinarian - 10-29-2010

I wipe them with a damp paper towel. I used to rinse them in water and stopped. They just get water logged.

And - a little dirt doesn't hurt you!

Re: How do you clean mushrooms? - farnfam - 10-29-2010

I do the same as Jeanette. I think they grow in some kind of high acid medium, so it's not dirt... technically

Re: How do you clean mushrooms? - cjs - 10-29-2010

I just wash them quickly under water - I'm not a great believer about the water logged theory.

Re: How do you clean mushrooms? - Trixxee - 10-29-2010

I also wash them quickly under water and dry them with a paper towel.

Re: How do you clean mushrooms? - Mare749 - 10-29-2010

Quote:

I do the same as Jeanette. I think they grow in some kind of high acid medium, so it's not dirt... technically

That's what I was wondering, Cis. That makes me feel a little better about it. But, actually I was thinking more about the people who don't use the tongs to pick them up like they are suppose to when purchasing. Still makes me think it might be better to rinse them, then dry quickly. Or maybe I'm just too much of a germaphobe.

Re: How do you clean mushrooms? - labradors - 10-29-2010

The advice against washing mushrooms is a myth. It is perfectly okay to rinse them under running water then dry them with paper towels. They only get waterlogged if you leave them soaking in the water for an extended time.

Re: How do you clean mushrooms? - Gourmet_Mom - 10-29-2010

That's good to know. I was under the same misconception as Jeannette and Maryann.

Re: How do you clean mushrooms? - cjs - 10-29-2010

- Sometimes I'm glad Labs is so straight-forward, I was trying to be tactful...

Re: How do you clean mushrooms? - Old Bay - 10-29-2010

Quote:

Smile - Sometimes I'm glad Labs is so straight-forward, I was trying to be tactful...

Jane & I have debated this for years--just do what you want and drink wine with dinner--that will take care of 95% of any problems, your immune system (if not impared) will take care of another 4%--from there it doesn't matter how you clean them!! But NEVER let them soak!!!