Cuisine at home Forums
Mise en place - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Mise en place (/showthread.php?tid=111082)

Mise en place - Gourmet_Mom - 11-10-2010

Is that how you spell that? I can never remember, and it never looks right.

ANYWAY! I am reminded of my Aunt Joyce here. Bless her heart, she was a school teacher, also. It is no wonder that she is my favorite aunt to date. I spent most of my summers on the farm with my grandparents. So did Aunt Joyce. (Plus, Uncle Tom has always called her "Sunshine" with good reason.) She spent her days picking vegetables, and her nights freezing them. When she wasn't at the farm, she was at home, prepping casseroles and ingredients for the freezer. By the end of the summer, she had most of her weeknight meals prepped for the school year. Now I don't want to go that far, but the concept I'm proposing is similar.

Sorry, I couldn't help but share that, since I immediately thought of her when I thought of asking this question. Here it is:

As I chopped onions and tomatoes for my Taco Salad tonight, I thought...Why shouldn't I go ahead and finish chopping these for use in a dish later in the week if I know I will need the ingredient later in the week. (Remember, I USUALLY plan meals weekly here.) I know this wouldn't work for some things...lettuce for example...but why not onions and tomatoes? So my question is: How far ahead would you prep certain ingredients: onions, tomatoes, cheese, peppers, celery, carrots, etc.?

Re: Mise en place - chef_Tab - 11-10-2010

I can't explain why, but it all tastes better chopped fresh to me, but especially the tomatoes because I never want to refrigerate them. I suppose I could live with the others "prechopped".

Re: Mise en place - Gourmet_Mom - 11-10-2010

That's my worry. Thanks for the input.

Re: Mise en place - foodfiend - 11-10-2010

Hmmmm. Another thought coming in!

For cooking (as opposed to salads and other "fresh" things), I don't see where chopping veggies up to three or even four days in advance hurts the final dish. I do this all of the time when we have guests for several days and I don't want to spend too much time prepping stuff in the kitchen.

I keep the chopped carrots submerged in ice water in the refrigerator, if the onions are mild they go in a screw-top jar (with water if they are strong), and peppers in small ziplock bags (with the air sucked out). Cheese can be shredded or cubed and wrapped tightly in plastic. Garlic minced and wrapped tightly in plastic.

Your Aunt Joyce sounds like a very cool woman. She spent her days picking vegetables, and her nights freezing them. -- that sounds pretty much like he** to me!

Re: Mise en place - Old Bay - 11-10-2010

Quote:

I can't explain why, but it all tastes better chopped fresh to me, but especially the tomatoes because I never want to refrigerate them. I suppose I could live with the others "prechopped".

Most of our mis in place is done just before using---we get everything ready, then cook the meal within 30 minutes. It is just easier to have it "all in place". Sometime we do onions, celery, carrots etc. ahead of time--refer it covered and it is usually ok.

Oh, I always do all the chopping ahead...veggies, then meat. I just wonder how far head you would do certain veggies. I agree with Vicci about the tomatoes, except that I wonder if that would apply when cooked. They do seem to loose their liquids over time. And I would never do mushrooms more than a few hours ahead, but onions, carrots, celery...those kinds of things. Especially when we're talking about cooking the veggies.

I'm not talking about doing it deliberately, either. (except for when planning a dinner ahead) For instance...let's say I know I'm going to use chopped tomatoes, onions, or celery in a recipe in the next few days. While I'm chopping "said veggies" for one dish, instead of storing that half pack of tomatoes, half onion, etc....why not chop the rest and store for future use....as long as I know I'll be using it in the next few days.

Does anybody do this? Does this make sense?

Re: Mise en place - Harborwitch - 11-10-2010

Mom used to chop onions and freeze them (IQF) so she'd have them. Later she just kept a bag of frozen chopped onions in the freezer.

I'm struggling with fridge space - and trying to organize menus and prep. We tried buying smaller bags of prepped celery and carrots thinking there might be less waste. Nope.

Daphne when I had lots of fridge space I used a muffin tin and the paper liners - all the prepped ingredients went into colored liners depending on what dish they were going in (did this when Jean and Roy were coming for a Thai dinner). It was great and made it really easy.

I have to figure this out - BTW, I did freeze celery last year. Never got a chance or need to use it - gave it to Cousin Renae. A quick blanch and chill and foodsavered. I froze tomatoes year before last - they're still wonderful but I'd never refrigerate tomatoes.

Did I make any sense????

We do tomatoes and mushrooms within 30 min of use--never freeze tomatoes or mushrooms--except I've cored fresh home grown tomatoes, froze them and used in sauces or soups--delicious--never refergerate tomatoes though.

Okay, so you're all unanimous about NOT chopping tomatoes for the fridge. But everything else seems good. I'm thinking of using the FoodSaver and just resealing the bag as I use them...carrots, celery, and onions...so far.

One reason I asked this is that I find chopping therapeutic sometimes...when I've got time, as in, not in a rush for dinner. Therefore, if I'm chopping these items on the weekend for a dish, I'd find it helpful to do a weeks worth while I'm "In the Zone". Not to mention situations like tonight. Why should I pack away that 3/4's of an onion when I've got the time to just chop the whole thing and package what I won't be using?

I'm with you.