Cuisine at home Forums
Blackened Redfish - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Blackened Redfish (/showthread.php?tid=111477)

Blackened Redfish - Old Bay - 11-15-2010

This is Paul Prudhommes signiture recipe--it was so popular it nearly caused an extinction from overfishing!! Redfish are only fished as sport under strict regulation and are coming back. You can also use Drum, pompano, or tilefish, or ask your fishmonger.

Seasoning mix:
1T sweet paprika
2 1/2 t salt
1 t onion powder
1 t garlic powder
1 t cayenne
3/4 t white pepper
3/4 t black pepper
1/2 t dried thyme leaves
1/2 t dried oregano leaves

6 (8-10 oz) fish fillets, about 1/2 inch thick

Heat a cast iron skillet as hot as you can comfortably--charcoal won't work--you need gas--and if inside a great vent!!! The skillet should begin to form white ash. Draw the fillets thru melted butter on both sides--season both sides liberably--put fillet in skillet and add 1 T melted butter on top (it may flare up)--wear a long glove--2 minutes, turn the fish--it will blacken-1 to 2 min. Serve hot. There will be smoke--I've set off the smoke alarm!! Delicious!!

P.S.--This will really help speed up the cure on your cast iron skillet!!!

P.S. 2--The extreme heat in the skillet blackens the fish with seasonings and butter on both sides very fast (2 min each) and doesn't overcook the inside--still very moist, but done. Paul P. was brilliant!! This is fish cooked like a steak.

Re: Blackened Redfish - foodfiend - 11-15-2010

Wow, that sounds wonderful. Perfect for a cold winter's evening (but I have to wonder what our Pittsburgh fishmonger will give me to sub for any of the types of fish that Bill listed above...)

Re: Blackened Redfish - Harborwitch - 11-15-2010

I've done it with snapper. Very very good.

Re: Blackened Redfish - cjs - 11-16-2010

I haven't done the 'blackened' thing for so long, I'm ready to do it again. Sounds good, Bill.