Cuisine at home Forums
CH Splendid Soups - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: CH Splendid Soups (/showthread.php?tid=111503)

CH Splendid Soups - VinceF - 11-16-2010

Just wanted to let everyone know that the CH Splendid Soups special issue is one of their great works. I use it often and weekly during the winter. All the soups are very good and the sides are matched beautifully. This issue changes soup from a unremarkable forethought to the star of the meal. I also like that CH has the no nonsense approach, no long list of un-needed ingredients.

Re: CH Splendid Soups - HomeCulinarian - 11-16-2010

You're right, VinceF! It is a great collection of soups!

Re: CH Splendid Soups - cjs - 11-16-2010

I certainly agree - I think I've made more from this publication than any other.

Vince, when you have a minute, I hope you'll tell us a little about yourself - are you still working 'the kitchens'? What type of cooking do you prefer, if there is any?

Re: CH Splendid Soups - Sue_C - 11-16-2010

Thanks for the thumbs up, VinceF. I had read a lukewarm review of this one on the Cook's Illustrated boards, so I wasn't too sure. This is the one that also has stews and chilies; right?

"Cook's Illustrated boards," - well, that sucks!! It's a great book!

And no, they are not the same books -

Splendid Soups & Spectacular Sides is one
(well, just counted this one also, and I've done 10 of them! but, most I also did the called for sides, so many more than the 10)
and
Soups, Stews, & Chilies is the other.
(I've done 10 out of this book and nothing below 'good!'

Re: CH Splendid Soups - Mare749 - 11-16-2010

I also have both and love them! Great books!

Vince, I was wondering the same thing. Would love to hear about your adventures in the culinary world.

Re: CH Splendid Soups - DFen911 - 11-16-2010

Hi Sue C and welcome to the boards!

Vince does that book have a pumpkin soup recipe?

(not Vince....) no, but does have a wonderful butternut squash soup that I think I gave a 10+

Re: CH Splendid Soups - Old Bay - 11-16-2010

Is this series available in book stores?

Wait!! Is this the Cuisine at Home Splendid Soups & Spectacular Sides? If so the CH threw me. I have the CAH one and love it!!

Re: CH Splendid Soups - Gourmet_Mom - 11-16-2010

Oh, I agree! This is a great book! I am looking forward to making more from this one AND the Stews and Chili book this winter.

Welcome, Sue! I hope you'll stick around. And whoever said this was a mediocre book is crazy!