Cuisine at home Forums
Sea Salt & Pink Peppercorn Caramels - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Sea Salt & Pink Peppercorn Caramels (/showthread.php?tid=114075)

Sea Salt & Pink Peppercorn Caramels - foodfiend - 12-28-2010

[Image: SeaSaltandPinkPeppercornCaramels.jpg]

First, Sharon, I deeply apologize that the caramels which I sent to you did not look as nice as these did. Yours were the first that I cut, and having never made them before, I obviously had much difficulty. Plus it was after midnight on a day where I had been in the kitchen for over 12 hours, baking...

Salt and Pink Peppercorn Caramels
Prep: 30 minutes
Cook: 40 minutes

Ingredients

* 1 cup butter
* 1 16-oz. pkg. packed brown sugar (2-1/4 cups)
* 2 cups half-and-half or light cream
* 1 cup light-colored corn syrup
* 1 tsp. vanilla
* 1/2 to 1-1/2 tsp. flaked sea salt or smoked flaked sea salt
* 1/2 to 1-1/2 tsp. pink peppercorns, crushed

Directions

1. Line an 8x8x2-inch or 9x9x2-inch baking pan with foil, extending foil over edges of pan. Butter the foil. Set aside.

2. In a 3-quart heavy saucepan melt butter over low heat. Add brown sugar, half-and-half, and corn syrup; mix well. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until mixture boils. Clip a candy thermometer to the side of the pan (see Candy Thermometer, below). Reduce heat to medium. Continue boiling mixture at a moderate, steady rate, stirring frequently, until the thermometer registers 248 degrees F, firm-ball stage (40 to 50 minutes). Adjust heat as necessary to maintain a steady boil.

3. Remove saucepan from heat; remove thermometer. Stir in vanilla. Quickly pour mixture into prepared pan. Cool 10 to 12 minutes; sprinkle with salt and pepper. When firm use foil to lift candy out of pan.* Use a buttered knife to cut into 2x1/2-inch size pieces. Wrap each caramel in waxed paper or plastic wrap. Store up to 2 weeks.

*Test Kitchen Tip:For easier slicing, freeze caramel for 10 minutes before cutting.

Candy Thermometer:Cooking to the correct temperature is crucial when making most candies, ensuring toffees turn out crunchy and caramels stay chewy. Our Test Kitchen prefers a digital thermometer with a clip to attach it to the side of the pan. Before making candy, always calibrate the thermometer per manufacture's instructions.

Re: Sea Salt & Pink Peppercorn Caramels - karyn - 12-28-2010

OMG!! Those are gorgeous! Next year I'll be more focused on homemade stuff! This recipe (with your gorgeous photo) is soo copied and saved to try really soon.

Re: Sea Salt & Pink Peppercorn Caramels - Harborwitch - 12-29-2010

Please, no apologies Vicci! They are so good and I know I will be required to make them - which is fine with me. Yummmm

Of course everything in that box was incredible! We have been sipping the cranberry liqueur - and it is amazing. I am going to try the cran-tini but it will have to be with vodka - there's no room for a "fully" stocked bar.

Re: Sea Salt & Pink Peppercorn Caramels - Mare749 - 12-29-2010

Thanks for the recipe, Vicci. Those look amazing. I'll be trying this recipe for sure.

Re: Sea Salt & Pink Peppercorn Caramels - DFen911 - 12-29-2010

Oh man...why did I look...why why why...I have to lose weight before April not put more on

Re: Sea Salt & Pink Peppercorn Caramels - BarbaraS - 12-29-2010

This is trouble!

Barbara

Re: Sea Salt & Pink Peppercorn Caramels - farnfam - 12-29-2010

WOW, those are gorgeous!!!

Re: Sea Salt & Pink Peppercorn Caramels - cjs - 12-29-2010

They sure do look yummy.