Cuisine at home Forums
Chef_Tab's birthday dinner review - 2/14/11 - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Chef_Tab's birthday dinner review - 2/14/11 (/showthread.php?tid=116313)

Chef_Tab's birthday dinner review - 2/14/11 - chef_Tab - 01-31-2011

Thanks to Vicci for typing this up, here is my choice for the review dinner due on Valentines Day, Monday, February 14th.

Indian Chicken Curry (Tikka Masala)

Recipe By : CAH Issue #85
Servings: 4

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 cup plain yogurt
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon minced ginger
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon garam masala
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
pinch cayenne pepper

1 tablespoon vegetable oil
8 whole chicken thighs without skin

1 cup diced onion
2 teaspoons garam masala
1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 1/2 teaspoons minced ginger
1 whole serrano pepper -- seeded and minced
2 tablespoons tomato paste
15 ounces crushed tomatoes

1/4 cup heavy cream
salt and black pepper to taste
chopped fresh cilantro

Marinade: Combine the yogurt through the cayenne and set aside.

Pierce chicken in several places, then transfer to a large bowl. Pour marinade over chicken; toss to coat. Cover chicken and refrigerate at least 1 hour or overnight.

Preheat broiler with rack 6-8" from the heat.

Remove chicken from bowl and discard marinade. Transfer chicken to the broiler pan; broil for 8 minutes on flesh side. Remove chicken from the broiler and transfer to a 4- to 6-quart slow cooker.

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook until onion just begins to brown, 5 minutes. Add the spices and chili pepper and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in tomato paste and cook for 1 minute. Deglaze the pan with the crushed tomatoes, scraping up any browned bits on the bottom of the pan. Transfer mixture to the slow cooker and stir.

Cover slow cooker and cook chicken on low for 3 hours (or 2 hours on high). Transfer chicken to a serving platter and keep warm.

Whisk cream into sauce in slow cooker; season with salt and pepper. Pour sauce over chicken and garnish with chopped cilantro.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per serving: 349 Calories (kcal); 17g Total Fat; (42% calories from fat); 32g Protein; 18g Carbohydrate; 143mg Cholesterol; 595mg Sodium
Food Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 4 Lean Meat; 2 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates

* Exported from MasterCook *

Roasted Cauliflower

Recipe By: CAH Issue #85
Servings: 4

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------

3 tablespoons oilve oil
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 pounds cauliflower -- cut into 2" florets
lemon wedges

Preheat oven to 450F

Whisk together oil, cumin,coriander, salt, and pepper in a large bowl until combined. Add the cauliflower, tossing to coat.

Transfer cauliflower to a baking sheet and roast, stirring halfway through, until tender and golden brown, 20-30 minutes.

Remove from oven, season with additional s & p if desired, and serve with lemon wedges.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per serving: 62 Calories (kcal); 1g Total Fat; (8% calories from fat); 5g Protein; 13g Carbohydrate; 0mg Cholesterol; 187mg Sodium
Food Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 2 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 0 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates

Re: Chef_Tab's birthday dinner review menu - Gourmet_Mom - 01-31-2011

I think I'm in...I'll have to get Ashley to check in the city for the garam masala. Everything else is a cinch! I hope I can get it...I've never had anything with garam masala, so it should be an adventure.

ALTHOUGH...I just remembered I've got orders (Friday or Saturday) for truffle oil, truffle salt, and something else I've been wanting...where's the brain? Maybe I'll just add this to the list!

Oh...the Jersey tomatoes...that was it!

Pretty cool birthday present to myself, I'm thinking! But not quite as good as William's gift....a trip to Charleston in March to meet up with some VERY SPECIAL friends!!!!!!

Re: Chef_Tab's birthday dinner review menu - Harborwitch - 01-31-2011

I have all the seasonings - but have to see how time goes this month. Hmmmm, sounds good though.

Re: Chef_Tab's birthday dinner review menu - chef_Tab - 01-31-2011

This is done in the slow cooker, so if you marinate and make the sauce the night before, it is a quick and easy dinner choice.

Re: Chef_Tab's birthday dinner review menu - cjs - 01-31-2011

This sounds really good, Theresa and we are in for sure!

Here you go Daphne -

* Exported from MasterCook *

Garam Masala

toast:
1/4 c corriander seed
1/4 c cummin seed
1/4 c green cardamom
and grind
grind:
1/4 c black pepper corn
1/4 c cinnamon bark
1/4 c clove
add:
1/4 c turmeric
1/4 c hot chili powder
1/4 c ground ginger
1/4 c sweet paprika (if you want red Garam)

Put in tightly sealed jar away from light... takes about15 to 20 mins to make...

I love this because you can use it for so many things.. Basmati rice and peas.. chai tea... the clove makes you sleepy though.. coat fish "Blackening" add to Lamb braises

Our assistant priest is from India and I gave him some and he told me it tastes like his Mum's... (Accolades accepted

Re: Chef_Tab's birthday dinner review menu - Gourmet_Mom - 01-31-2011

A couple of questions:

Jean, regarding the garam masala:

I'm confused about the green cardamom? I have regular ground cardamom. Will that work? And the cinnamon bark...are you talking cinnamon sticks grated? Will regular cinnamon work? Cumin seeds....ground cumin? I have everything else.

Theresa, regarding the slow cooker thing:

Could I make it up to the slow cooking process and stick the whole thing in the fridge? If you don't think the flavors would be too strong, I could then turn it on when I get home at 4, prep and roast the cauliflower, and serve dinner at 7.

Re: Chef_Tab's birthday dinner review menu - labradors - 01-31-2011

Quote:

I love this because you can use it for so many things.. Basmati rice and peas.. chai tea... the clove makes you sleepy though.. coat fish "Blackening" add to Lamb braises

Try scrambling a little bit of it into your breakfast eggs, sometime.

Re: Chef_Tab's birthday dinner review menu - chef_Tab - 01-31-2011

Quote:

A couple of questions:
Theresa, regarding the slow cooker thing:

Could I make it up to the slow cooking process and stick the whole thing in the fridge? If you don't think the flavors would be too strong, I could then turn it on when I get home at 4, prep and roast the cauliflower, and serve dinner at 7.

I think the best thing would be to put the chicken pieces in a bag with the marinade. Make the sauce and put that in a separate container. Then when you get home, broil the chicken while the sauce starts warming in the crock pot. (maybe even prewarming the sauce in the microwave) And put it all together in the crockpot on high.
At that point, you could work on the cauliflower, which, if you had cut and cleaned, would be that much easier.
Then make a huge cocktail and enjoy!

Re: Chef_Tab's birthday dinner review menu - foodfiend - 01-31-2011

Daphne, the green cardamom is the pod (I think that you probably have the ground seeds); toasting the green cardamom pod, cumin seed, and coriander seed before grinding deepens the flavor and adds so much to the finished blend.

I would try this recipe, but I really like Penzey's garam masala and just bought a 4 ounce bag. Oh, and Daphne, if you would like me to mail you a couple of tablespoons I certainly can. As I said, I just bought a new bag of it last week. PM your address to me, it won't cost me any more than mailing a letter so don't think that it would be an inconvenience.

A dash of garam masala in mashed sweet potatoes is really delicious.

And about doing this in advance, since the chicken and sauce are both hot when the crockpot cooking is to start, you will want to reheat them before you turn on the crockpot. I would make the sauce the day before and refrigerate it, then bring to a boil while browning the marinated chicken thighs (they take only 8 minutes). Then put the chicken and the sauce into the crockpot and only 2 hours until dinner.
(Theresa, I was writing this while you were posting. Great minds, you know!)

Re: Chef_Tab's birthday dinner review menu - cjs - 02-01-2011

Daphne, I can't remember if I've had to make this yet - I always seem to have it on hand. But, I do have cardamom pods that I would use. I'd use broken cinnamon stick.

I think I do remember now making this, 'cause I used 1 T. each instead of the 1/4 cup of each. Must have liked it - didn't get rid of the recipe.