Cuisine at home Forums
What's for Dinner, Saturday, 2/12 - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: What's for Dinner, Saturday, 2/12 (/showthread.php?tid=117081)

What's for Dinner, Saturday, 2/12 - cjs - 02-12-2011

What's on everyone's menu for tonight?

Until I got further into Central Market and we went crazy, I had planned on having leftover Greek Hobo for dinner tonight, but now, I'm in a quandry. I'll probably do something with mushrooms and a truffle pizza with the other mushrooms (and maybe a little truffle) tomorrow night....decisions.

Re: What's for Dinner, Saturday, 2/12 - Harborwitch - 02-12-2011

We are finally going to break out of our shell and go to a pot luck here tonight. I'm not sure what I'm going to take - had thought mac & cheese but noticed no one was bringning a salad or veggie. ????????

They're serving Chicken Cordon Blue (this could be interesting - the guy they have cooking for events here is spectacularly blech. I'm hoping he's not cooking the chicken.

Re: What's for Dinner, Saturday, 2/12 - foodfiend - 02-12-2011

Cookies. Cupcakes. Chocolate-dipped marshmallows.
Today is baking for Valentine's Day and Mom's birthday, so whatever I can put together will be out meals for the day.

Re: What's for Dinner, Saturday, 2/12 - Gourmet_Mom - 02-12-2011

We're having Theresa's Review Dinner. I'm anxious to see if we like it. I'm going to add the Mango and Pepper Salad to the meal. I know we like that, so William won't be too bummed out.

Re: What's for Dinner, Saturday, 2/12 - DFen911 - 02-12-2011

I'm doing the perfect rib roast again. They were on sale and I could not resist

Re: What's for Dinner, Saturday, 2/12 - Trixxee - 02-12-2011

I was saving my rib-eyes for tomorrow but we're having them today, along with asparagus and a yet to be determined starch. Maybe french fries.

Re: What's for Dinner, Saturday, 2/12 - karyn - 02-12-2011

It's finally beginning to warm up around here, so I'm grilling tritip and asparagus. I'm also thawing some dinner rolls that I'll bake off. Possible a salad, too. I'm really looking forward to the tritip. It's one of my favorites.

Re: What's for Dinner, Saturday, 2/12 - BarbaraS - 02-12-2011

Macs and Cheese with dogs for him, Chili Cheeseburger brats for me!

Barbara

Re: What's for Dinner, Saturday, 2/12 - labradors - 02-12-2011

Leftover tikka masala for dinner, but made Monte Cristos for lunch.

Re: What's for Dinner, Saturday, 2/12 - cjs - 02-13-2011

Oh, we had a wonderful dinner last night - I'd forgotten how much I love Skate. This dish is not flashy, just wonderful subtle flavors.

[Image: CIMG0405.jpg]

Here's the recipe if anyone is interested -
Skate Casserole – 2 to 4 servings (more like 5)

1 pound skate fillet -- cut 1/2" pieces
1 cup sliced mushrooms
3 celery stalks -- diced
4 tablespoons grated onion
1/2 cup minced green pepper
1/2 cup cracker crumbs
6 tablespoons butter or margarine
2 cups milk
4 tablespoons grated Cheddar cheese
4 tablespoons flour
1/8 teaspoon basil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
1 pinch nutmeg

Melt 2 tablespoons of the butter or margarine in a saucepan. Add mushrooms celery, onion, green pepper and basil. Sauté for about 10 minutes or until celery is tender.

While mushrooms are sautéing make sauce by melting 4 tablespoons of butter or margarine in the top of a double boiler. Stirring constantly, gradually add the flour. Add salt, pepper and nutmeg. Slowly pour in milk. Cook and stir for about 6 minutes until sauce is thick and smooth.

Add skate to mushroom mixture and cook for about 5 minutes. Combine skate and mushroom mixture with the white sauce and stir well. Pour mixture into a casserole dish. Cover with cracker crumbs and top with grated cheddar cheese.

Bake for approximately 20 minutes at 350 degrees or until casserole is golden brown.

This recipe yields 2 to 4 servings.
Source: "New York Seafood Council at [url=http://www.nyseafood.org"]http://www.nyseafood.org"[/url]

------
I don't see why any mild white fish (talapia would be really good) would work in this dish.