Cuisine at home Forums
What We Grew in Our Gardens, Spring/Summer 2011 - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: What We Grew in Our Gardens, Spring/Summer 2011 (/showthread.php?tid=118760)

What We Grew in Our Gardens, Spring/Summer 2011 - cjs - 03-12-2011

My fingers were tingling to get started, so we picked up some soil and seeds and came home and started the garden for 2011.

plants we bought -
2 rosemary plants - completely lost mine this winter.
Butter Crunch, Red Leaf and Romaine lettuce
Sugar Pea plants

Seeds plante:
green onions
carrots
radishes
cilantro

I'm so glad it is beginning. What and when will you all do your planting?

Re: What We Grew in Our Gardens, Spring/Summer 2011 - foodfiend - 03-12-2011

Wah! My garden has standing water in it!! Anyway, with the snow melt I normally can't till and plant until at least the middle of April. I do have a small "kitchen garden", at the end of the patio, and a cold frame. In a couple of weeks I'll plant lettuce (bibb, mesculin, and red leaf), arugula, spinach, and radishes.

I am sooooo hungry for garden tomatoes!!! Only 5 months to go...

Re: What We Grew in Our Gardens, Spring/Summer 2011 - Gourmet_Mom - 03-12-2011

William has picked the first weekend in April. I can't wait!!!! With the new electric fence and the third year, I'm hoping for good things this year. I know tomatoes (I didn't have a good harvest last year at the house, so I'm back to the garden.), corn, squash, potatoes, and onions. We haven't had much luck with lettuce at the garden, but I have had a lot of luck with lettuce at the house. Then there's the herbs: parsley, basil, rosemary (lost mine this year too), oregano, and thyme.

Re: What We Grew in Our Gardens, Spring/Summer 2011 - karyn - 03-13-2011

I have a question for all of you more experienced gardeners. My rosemary isn't completely dead, but there are a lot of dead branches, particularly in the middle of my about four year old plants. Should I prune out all of the dead wood and try to shape the plants, or just pull them up and start over?

I may start some lettuce soon (I've never done lettuce before), but I mostly rely on my garden for herbs, tomatoes, and jalapeƱos. In addition to Daphne's list, I love sage and mint. My sage is also old, so I've rooted some sprigs and will be replanting. Mint is in a huge pot because I just can't control it otherwise. I may pot the oregano as well, because it started to take over at the end of last summer, but this winter seems to have done it in.

I am so enjoying the warmer weather, and can't wait for April so I can begin planting!

Re: What We Grew in Our Gardens, Spring/Summer 2011 - luvnit - 03-14-2011

Quote:

Wah! My garden has standing water in it!!

Try a foot of snow! I can't even see the gardens.

But I too cannot wait for the season to start.

Re: What We Grew in Our Gardens, Spring/Summer 2011 - labradors - 03-14-2011

Must be hard to believe that Spring is this coming Sunday.

Re: What We Grew in Our Gardens, Spring/Summer 2011 - cjs - 03-14-2011

Karyn, for using Rosemary for cooking, I replace my rosemary every two years. I find it gets kind of woody after that. When I still live in California and had lots of room, I would plant the old rosemeary in the yard somewhere and let it go - it's a beautiful bush when it gets big.

My mint and oregano - go in pots because of the take over problem with them. Every couple years, they do get root bound, so you can repot them and I just cut the plants in half thru the roots.

And all of us who plant chives, don't forget to cut the chive 'scapes' or 'ramps' to use in salads. Also garlic ramps/scapes.

Re: What We Grew in Our Gardens, Spring/Summer 2011 - luvnit - 03-15-2011

Yes, it is difficult to see spring yet. Hopefully this week will melt a great deal of the snow. It should be in the 40's this week.

BTW, I know a guy who lives where the Rosemary grows into nice bushes. When he has a backyard fire, he hacks off some branches and puts them in the flames. They crackle and give off a wonderful aroma.

Unfortunately, rosemary does not grow like that here, or I would love to do that. But some of you folks may have better luck with that than I.

Re: What We Grew in Our Gardens, Spring/Summer 2011 - cjs - 03-15-2011

Rosemary thrown on the grill when you're grilling is a great flavor enhancer also. Roy rubs the stalks between his hands everytime he passes a plant. What a wonderful aroma.

Re: What We Grew in Our Gardens, Spring/Summer 2011 - esgunn - 03-15-2011

Well, I have been out pruning the dead canes off of all the raspberry plants. They are done and now on to the marrionberry, boysenberry and blueberry. Steve just bought 6 more blueberry plants. He needs to make a new bed to plant them!

Not sure about the gardens this year. I don't do much spring planting. My Raynauds syndrom keeps me from getting out in the dirt before it really warms up. I will plant tomatoes, maybe a zuke, green beans, sugar snap peas and some peppers. Oh, and herbs. I want to change one of my beds and make it an herb garden. I did notice my rhubarb is starting to come up and will be keeping my eye out for the first Asparagus spear.

My Aerogarden is overflowing with herbs right now!