Cuisine at home Forums
What's for Dinner, Thursday, 4/7?? - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: What's for Dinner, Thursday, 4/7?? (/showthread.php?tid=119970)

What's for Dinner, Thursday, 4/7?? - cjs - 04-07-2011

What's on everyone's menu for tonight?

Roy's bottling at the winery today, so I don't have to stop prepping to make mid-day dinner, which will be nice. Later, probably some soup.

Re: What's for Dinner, Thursday, 4/7?? - esgunn - 04-07-2011

Well it is a gym night and it is cold still. 35 and Sleet here this morning. When is Spring going to get here? Oh yeah - they said tomorrow and then the clouds and rain are back.

So, mexican black beans and pork in the slow cooker.

Re: What's for Dinner, Thursday, 4/7?? - karyn - 04-07-2011

I'm sorry you're so cold, Erin and Jean! Spring has arrived in Atlanta (again)...we're in the low 70s today, and should see the 80s by the weekend. I LOVE this time of year!

Grilled hamburgers and a tossed salad for dinner here.

Re: What's for Dinner, Thursday, 4/7?? - Gourmet_Mom - 04-07-2011

It's been a long two weeks with very little break, so I'm taking tomorrow off! (I just had to throw that in.) I worked a ball game this afternoon and haven't been home long. I'm just throwing together some spaghetti and a salad. Sure wish I had some good bread. But I will Saturday!

Re: What's for Dinner, Thursday, 4/7?? - Harborwitch - 04-07-2011

Finally - Asparagus soup! It's strange weather here - the nasty stuff seems to be going around us. Although it's COLD!!!

OK we just finished; beautiful asparagus soup with a garnish of blanched asparagus tips and a white truffle oil drizzle. MMMMMMMMMMMMM WOW! Blew myself away!

Re: What's for Dinner, Thursday, 4/7?? - cjs - 04-08-2011

Sharon, I think you and Bob are going to be blown away at the bounty of beautiful veggies and fruits that grow in eastern WA - it's outstanding.

Re: What's for Dinner, Thursday, 4/7?? - Harborwitch - 04-08-2011

Jean we are soooooo looking forward to it! I've already been told where a great farmstand is located that also sells grass fed beef!

We've still got 3 fat bunches of Asparagus that we brought up from CA. We've kept the ends wet and it's in a cooler with ice. Still fresher looking than the stuff in the store. I nearly choked when I saw 2.97 a lb! I paid 15.00 for a case - and have made friends with lot of it.

BTW - that bit of truffle oil just made the soup!!!!

Re: What's for Dinner, Thursday, 4/7?? - Gourmet_Mom - 04-08-2011

"BTW - that bit of truffle oil just made the soup!!!!"

I bet it did! YUM! In hopes that I'll catch some on sale soon, what recipe did you use?

Re: What's for Dinner, Thursday, 4/7?? - Harborwitch - 04-08-2011

Daphne I didn't really have a recipe - Francois didn't share the recipe - just method.

1 chopped onion sauteed until soft in 2 Tbs butter
3 small potatoes peeled and diced tossed with the onions & butter

Put onions and butter in a 5 qt pot with 1 qt. chicken stock and 2 cups milk or water. Cover and cook until soft. Season with salt & pepper to taste.

Trim asparagus and cut into 1" pieces - reserve tips
Add the asparagus to the pot and continue to simmer until the asparagus is tender.

Meanwhile blanch the tips until just barely tender.

Using a stick blender or regular blender puree the soup. Return the soup to the pot and add:
1/2 c. heavy cream
juice of 1/4 lemon
3 drops of jalapeno sauce (optional)
Return to the heat until hot. Serve with garnish of asparagus tips and drizzle with white truffle oil.

I'm thinking I might make up another batch and freeze - Jean do you think that will work okay - if I leave out the cream????

Re: What's for Dinner, Thursday, 4/7?? - cjs - 04-08-2011

I think it would work fine. Sounds good too.