Cuisine at home Forums
Artichoke plant - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Artichoke plant (/showthread.php?tid=121182)

Artichoke plant - Old Bay - 05-07-2011

Jean, my artichoke has two foot leaves!!! I think I see an artichoke developing in the middle. Where do the fruits form? Is there a stem eventually? I've never seen a plant before--mine sure is healthy!!! It's about three feet tall.

Re: Artichoke plant - DFen911 - 05-07-2011

First you'll get a beautiful flower And the pedals will be all spiny looking. They start to turn in and fold up. The baby pedals form the choke.

[Image: artichoke%20flower.jpg]

Re: Artichoke plant - cjs - 05-07-2011

Just the opposite, Denise!! The flower forms and opens if you leave it on the plant long enough!!

Bill, here is a picture of some that I was cutting to eat. The tight bud you're seeing looking down into the middle of the plant is the choke. The plant will eventually (this spring/summer) send shoots off the side and more chokes will form.

[Image: artichoke.jpg]
See the little one coming between the two larger ones, that from a side stem.

I like to cook part of the stem also, so I cut about 3-4" of the stem also.

Re: Artichoke plant - DFen911 - 05-07-2011

OMG I was lied to!!

But then I"ve never grown them. Bill totally ignore my post

Re: Artichoke plant - Harborwitch - 05-07-2011

Drool!

Re: Artichoke plant - Gourmet_Mom - 05-07-2011

I'm slacking this year. I never did get that artichoke plant and STILL haven't gotten my herbs! Maybe next weekend.

Re: Artichoke plant - cjs - 05-07-2011

Yeah, why rush, Scarlett??

True! But I'm WAY behind my usual! I don't think I'll even be able to do some lettuce! It's going to be too late. We're already getting into the 80's some days. POOOH!

Re: Artichoke plant - Old Bay - 05-07-2011

Quote:

Yeah, why rush, Scarlett??

"Because, Tomorrow is another day"----fade picture out--sound up--credits!!! Great movie!! Do you think anyone will like it????

"Fiddle-dee-dee." Of course they will!