Cuisine at home Forums
Ever hear of Veal Salt? - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Ever hear of Veal Salt? (/showthread.php?tid=121422)

Ever hear of Veal Salt? - Mare749 - 05-12-2011

Saw this on Michael Ruhlman's blog. This was the contest winner for the best use of veal stock. There were some other very interesting recipes as well.

http://ruhlman.com/2011/05/veal-salt/

Re: Ever hear of Veal Salt? - Harborwitch - 05-12-2011

What a brilliant freakin' idea!!! This could be incredible for so many things. Thank you for sharing, it's bookmarked so I can go back and try this.

Re: Ever hear of Veal Salt? - cjs - 05-12-2011

darn, I'll try to keep this thread at the top - can't read today.

Re: Ever hear of Veal Salt? - Harborwitch - 05-12-2011

bumping it for you

Re: Ever hear of Veal Salt? - Gourmet_Mom - 05-12-2011

I LOVE this! Summer Project!!!!! I've never made veal stock....never ate veal, actually. (Can't get past that baby calf thing.) ANYWAY, I think I could deal with making the stock and the salt, though. I figure, if I LOVE the flavor, I'll be able to get past the baby calf thing to eat the meat. (Sad logic, but maybe it'll work...LOL!)

And I'm sooooo wanting to make me some SP chips! I love the fries, so I KNOW I'd love the chips! Even William wanted to see the recipe for the chips! He may actually beat me to making them!

Re: Ever hear of Veal Salt? - BarbaraS - 05-12-2011

This is so way cool!!! Thanks for the link!

Barbara

Re: Ever hear of Veal Salt? - Cubangirl - 05-13-2011

Super cool for veal, but oh my the possibilities. The first one that comes to mind of course is bacon, can you imagine being able to use homemade bacon salt to get bacon flavor in salads, eggs, etc? Also herbs and citrus, the possibilities are endless. I think if you are going to have the oven on for one, might as well do a whole bunch of different kinds at one time, maybe smaller amounts to try to see it they work first.

Re: Ever hear of Veal Salt? - cjs - 05-13-2011

Oh Maryann, I'm so glad you found this - how interesting. I'm so anxious, with everyone else to give this a try. Thanks.

Re: Ever hear of Veal Salt? - Harborwitch - 05-13-2011

Doesn't it just sound like sooooo much fun! The mind just wants to be left alone to play with ideas!

Re: Ever hear of Veal Salt? - Mare749 - 05-13-2011

Thanks everybody. I'm thinking it will be a fun thing to try.

CG, I love your idea for bacon salt. BTW, if anyone is interested, Ruhlman also had an interesting article about the use of nitrates in bacon. I never knew nitrates came from plants...