Cuisine at home Forums
Sweet Potato Yeast Rolls - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Sweet Potato Yeast Rolls (/showthread.php?tid=122143)

Sweet Potato Yeast Rolls - Mare749 - 05-26-2011

I got this idea from Lorraine, who makes a sweet potato biscuit with ham as an appetizer when they are catering.

So, I thought, why not try this as a yeast dough. Well, it worked out really well. This tasty roll couldn't be easier and makes a great little ham sammy. Made a little bit smaller and they would make a great slider bun. Here is my recipe and pix:

Sweet Potato Rolls

4 1/2 to 5 cups all-purpose flour
3 T. light brown sugar
2 pkgs. (1/4 oz. each) instant yeast
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/4 cups milk
3 T. butter
1/2 cup cooked and mashed sweet potatoes, room temperature

In a mixing bowl, combine 2 cups of flour, sugar, yeast and salt.

In a saucepan, heat milk and butter to melt the butter, then let cool until lukewarm
and add to the dry ingredients; beat until smooth. Stir in mashed sweet potatoes and add enough flour to form a soft dough. (I used my mixer with the dough hook for 6 minutes.)
Turn the dough out on a floured surface and form into a ball. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes.

Using a bench knife, cut the dough in half and work with one half at a time. Cut each half into 8 pieces, quickly form a ball trying not to deflate the dough, and pinch the skin together on the bottom. Place into a 9" cake pan and grease or spray with oil. Repeat with the second half of dough. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes. Sprinkle the top with flour for a dusted look, or with an egg wash.

Bake at 350 for 18-20 minutes until golden brown. (I would suggest checking at 15 minutes. Due
to the sugar content, these rolls will burn easily, especially on the bottom.)

Yield: 16 dinner size rolls

This is the dough, right out of the mixer. 4 1/2 cups of flour was enough, and I used a little bit on the board. This dough was perfect and easy to handle.
[Image: SweetPotatoRolls001.jpg]

It took less then 10 minutes to cut and form the rolls.
[Image: SweetPotatoRolls002.jpg]

The result, right out of the oven.
[Image: SweetPotatoRolls007.jpg]

Re: Sweet Potato Yeast Rolls - Gourmet_Mom - 05-26-2011

Well, you baking fool! Those look FABULOUS! I can't wait for vacation! So much baking to do in so little time! It will get too hot quickly, so I'll have to bake up a storm in the first few weeks! This will be on the top of the list! Thanks, Maryann!

Re: Sweet Potato Yeast Rolls - cjs - 05-27-2011

Oh Maryann, they look delicious!! I haven't gotten to play with them yet - but you've done all the work for us.

Re: Sweet Potato Yeast Rolls - HomeCulinarian - 05-27-2011

One of these days I'm going to attempt yeast breads! Those look wonderful!

Re: Sweet Potato Yeast Rolls - cjs - 05-27-2011

Jeannette, didn't you know Grandma's can do ANYTHING!!!

Re: Sweet Potato Yeast Rolls - Old Bay - 05-27-2011

Sweet potatoes have no redeming value, except in sweet potato pie, once a year.

Re: Sweet Potato Yeast Rolls - labradors - 05-27-2011

Quote:

Fortunately, we're not interested in their redeeming value but their flavour value.

Re: Sweet Potato Yeast Rolls - Old Bay - 05-27-2011

Quote:

[blockquote]Quote:

Fortunately, we're not interested in their redeeming value but their flavour value.

[/blockquote]

Smart A--. See my by line. I have decided to take that attitude toward my detractors when appropriate.

Re: Sweet Potato Yeast Rolls - Gourmet_Mom - 05-28-2011

I'm glad I saw this tonight. Otherwise, my coffee would be all over the screen in the morning....LOL!