Cuisine at home Forums
Paella Advice Please - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Paella Advice Please (/showthread.php?tid=123173)

Paella Advice Please - luvnit - 06-16-2011

Well now I have 3-4 dinner events planned from now til September. One dinner is paella, I think. Is it easy to cook? Do I have to paella pan.

Has anyone had a white sangria? Did you like it? Or should I just stick with the regular sangria?

Any tips for this are appreciated. This dinner is not until end of Aug or Sept.

Re: Paella Advice Please - Gourmet_Mom - 06-16-2011

I have no clue how to make Paella, but I DO know there was a Sangria thread recently. Let's see if I can find it.

Here you go: Sangria Recipes

Re: Paella Advice Please - cjs - 06-16-2011

Paella is easy and fun!! You have time to go to library and look for this book - "Paella!" by Penelope Casas. I got this book over 10 years ago when I first started making paella and it is a great book!

I think my favorite from the book is the Scallop & Mushrooms Paella (Arroz con Vieiras y Setas). Oh my, it is just delicious.

This is what she says about using paella pans:
"While the time-honored paella pan is best for making most paellas, shallow casseroles also work well. It is certainly not necessary to invest in an expensive stainless-steel paella pan. Paella chefs, in fact, are disdainful of them and prefer the traditional thin-metal, wide-bottomed, shallow pans tht heat like lightnining and immediately adjust to changes in temperature."

Also, paella is great for a company dish because so much of it can be prepped ahead of time.

Now, you have me thinking, Laura - paella wasn't even in my mind, but Roy has chosen his Father's day dinner-sausage and the bok choy stir-fry from earlier this week. No reason I can't make a paella out of it!! THANK YOU - how fun this will be.

Re: Paella Advice Please - HomeCulinarian - 06-16-2011

I have a paella pan and love making it. Which reminds me I haven't made it in a while. The best part is the crispy rice!

Another nice thing about paella is that you can arrange the toppings in an artful way making a nice presentation. Traditionally, people all eat from the same pan.

Re: Paella Advice Please - DFen911 - 06-16-2011

Oh go look at the mystery dinner review. I did a white sangria and it was wonderful!! However I did add a can of 7-Up, and instead of 3/4 cup sugar I only did 1/2.

Re: Paella Advice Please - Old Bay - 06-16-2011

Paella is usually cooked over an open fire for some smoke flavor--I usually do mine inside and add the pimenton (smoked Spanish paprika) to the mix near the end, and Jean is right about the pan, get a cheap one in the size you need--- AND do not stir the rice after the final mix and mixing--the charm of the dish is a crust on the rice bottom and the smoke and saffron color and flavor--many recipes, but I think these are the keys.

Re: Paella Advice Please - Cubangirl - 06-17-2011

My mom loved socarrat, but I am not fond of it, so I always make mine in my LC in the oven. There is a good recipe here , just scroll down to paella. I have also made CI's recipe which my guests loved. Since there were several folks that did not like some of the seafoods, I only used shrimp, Spanish chorizo, chicken and some pork bits I had on hand. The shrimp on top of the paella was some of the best I've ever had. I now make it this way whenever I use shrimp in a recipe e.g. pasta, etc. In case you'd like it, I am posting the shrimp part. Let me know if you'd like the entire recipe.

EXPORTED FROM LIVING COOKBOOK

MARINATING SHRIMP FOR USE IN RECIPES*****

Yield: 1 LB

1 lb. Frozen 31/35 raw shrimp (defrosted)
1 tsp. kosher salt
¼ tsp. ground black pepper
1 TBS. Olive Oil
3 Garlic Cloves minced

In a medium bowl combine ¼ tsp ground black pepper, ¼ tsp salt, 1 clove minced garlic and 1 TBS. olive oil.

Clean and devein shrimp reserving shells for shrimp stock. Put shrimp in bowl and toss to combine. Cover and refrigerate for at least ½ hour (3 is better.)

Prep. Time: 15 minutes Inactive Time: 3 hours Total Time: 3 hours and 15 minutes

Source: COOK'S ILLUSTRATED's Paella recipe 5/2005
Web Page: http://www.cooksillustrated.com/recipes/detail.asp?docid=6604

Recipe Type: Cooks Illustrated, Seafood, Shrimp

Re: Paella Advice Please - cjs - 06-17-2011

You're going to have so much fun, Laura. My pan is all de-cobwebbed and clean, ready to go on Sunday! speaking of which, we need a thread for Father's day, don't we??