Cuisine at home Forums
Review- Blackened Dixie Tuna Sandwiches - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Review- Blackened Dixie Tuna Sandwiches (/showthread.php?tid=124373)

Review- Blackened Dixie Tuna Sandwiches - foodfiend - 07-18-2011

From the newest, Issue #88

I made the tuna steaks exactly as directed, except that I halved the amount of sugar and left out the mayo. A very good, very quick meal! I usually serve grilled tuna in some sort of Asian style over rice, and this was a welcome change. Both DH and I gave it a 9.

Blackened Dixie Tuna Sandwiches

2 tsp brown sugar
1 tsp each garlic powder, dried thyme, paprika, black pepper
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
2 ahi tuna steaks (4-6 oz each)
olive oil
mini focaccia roll, split
mayo
lettuce

Preheat grill to medium-high
Brush grate with olive oil
Combine the brown sugar and garlic powder through cayenne in a small bowl.
Brush tuna with olive oil and press spice mixture firmly into each side.
Grill tuna, covered, about 2 minutes per side for rare of 3 minutes per side for medium-rare.
Brush cut sides of focaccia with olive oil and grill, face side down, for 1-2 minutes to toast.
Assemble: brush each foccacia piece with mayo, top with a lettuce leaf and a tuna steak.

There was also a recipe for a celery root remoulade, but not having any celery root, I just put together a similar sauce using yogurt, mayo, wasabi powder, dijon mustard, garlic powder, cayenne, and s&p.

No photo. I sliced the focaccia unevenly and the tuna steak kept sliding off.

Re: Review- Blackened Dixie Tuna Sandwiches - Gourmet_Mom - 07-19-2011

Good to know, Vicci! And GREAT to see you on!

I STILL haven't tried MR tuna. And that's funny, cause I can get it fresh out of the ocean. I guess I need to get Buck to bring me some, and then it will be okay....right? Does the type of tuna make a difference?

Re: Review- Blackened Dixie Tuna Sandwiches - cjs - 07-19-2011

Oh my, I could get in trouble with this one. Hmmm, might be a way to use up the Comeback sauce that goes with the burgers on the next page (tonight's dinner ). I even have some grits in the freezer......

Psssst... Lorraine - remember the fiasco of Roy driving all over Colorado looking for celery root for the fund raising dinner??????? I don't mention that item to him anymore.

Re: Review- Blackened Dixie Tuna Sandwiches - farnfam - 07-19-2011

This sounds great Vicci!
Daph, I know you're hesitant about the medium rare tuna. Remember when I was worried about making the lox? Well, I read somewhere that if the salmon, or tuna in this case, is frozen over nite it takes care of "things". I was glad to see this cuz with the lox recipe you don't cook it at all, not even MR

Re: Review- Blackened Dixie Tuna Sandwiches - Gourmet_Mom - 07-19-2011

Wow! That's good to know, Cis! I didn't hesitate with the salmon, because I figured the "cure" would "take care of things". But with the tuna, it's different. The freezing idea is great to know! Thanks!

Re: Review- Blackened Dixie Tuna Sandwiches - DFen911 - 07-19-2011

Someday I'll live in a place where I can seafood I don't fear

Re: Review- Blackened Dixie Tuna Sandwiches - cjs - 07-19-2011

won't be long now, Denise, but then, who's counting......

Re: Review- Blackened Dixie Tuna Sandwiches - Lorraine - 07-19-2011

I remember it well, Jean.

Re: Review- Blackened Dixie Tuna Sandwiches - Mare749 - 07-19-2011

Quote:

won't be long now, Denise, but then, who's counting......

Jean, you're too funny!

I like my tuna seared on both sides, but rare in the middle. Never had a problem with it yet.

Re: Review- Blackened Dixie Tuna Sandwiches - foodfiend - 07-19-2011

I will eat MR or even rare tuna, but DH likes his cooked through. I take his off the grill after mine, when it's still pink, and let it rest for a while (if he cooked it the poor little tuna would taste like leather).