Cuisine at home Forums
About that cuke side, Daph - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: About that cuke side, Daph (/showthread.php?tid=124394)

About that cuke side, Daph - farnfam - 07-19-2011

I remember Daph, mentioning sliced cukes, dill, vinegar etc. Just wanted to let you know, I took the idea and ran with it. We've had some tasty combinations, my fave being cukes, cauliflowerets, green stuffed olives, vinegar, salt and Ital dressing (from a bottle). I mix it up first and chill to serve with dinner. Lovin' it for summer

Re: About that cuke side, Daph - Gourmet_Mom - 07-19-2011

William's favorite side dish! He always has cukes and onions in vinegar at the farm for lunch or dinner for the guys. Glad you're enjoying it, Cis!

Re: About that cuke side, Daph - DFen911 - 07-19-2011

What kind of vinegar?

Re: About that cuke side, Daph - farnfam - 07-19-2011

Rice vinegar works well, also I like apple cider vinegar or just plain white. Oh and white wine vinegar is good too, I guess it depends on what kind of veggie and what you think goes well. Only one I haven't tried is Balsamic, I wasn't sure the dark color would look right, but it'd probbly taste good
The last one with the olives, I used some juice from the olive jar too

Re: About that cuke side, Daph - cjs - 07-19-2011

" has cukes and onions in vinegar" - I grew up with this combination.

white balsamic works great, Cis. My favorite 'cause it's what I did grow up with is cider vinegar. What a refreshing side dish for summer.

We always use cider vinegar unless we don't have any...a rare occurrence. In that event, we use white vinegar.

Re: About that cuke side, Daph - Trixxee - 07-19-2011

A few weeks ago I made zucchini pickles - white balsamic vinegar and dill. Very good.

Re: About that cuke side, Daph - DFen911 - 07-19-2011

So you just slice up the cucumbers and put them in the vinegar...for how long? Do you add any spices or herbs?

Re: About that cuke side, Daph - farnfam - 07-19-2011

I guess onions and dill would be most common. I added lots of other veggies, like broccoli, cauliflower, stuffed olives, carrots, red pepper. I season with salt and basil, maybe some garlic, go ahead, go crazy.

Denise, I've done it many ways, but most often, we just toss them in a bowl of vinegar with pepper and eat them right away. The longer you leave them, the more "pickled" they get. Depends on how much you like vinegar. I like them right away. Oh, I almost forgot. Since I don't care for them so vinegary, I toss some ice cubes in there to get them cold fast.