Cuisine at home Forums
Ice Cream Pickles - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Ice Cream Pickles (/showthread.php?tid=124791)

Ice Cream Pickles - Lorraine - 07-30-2011

We call them that, because I keep them in a big old empty ice cream bucket in the fridge. If you have lots of cukes, and don't wont to make pickles that need to be processed, you may like this one. I made a bucket today, using pickling cukes instead of the English cukes, just because they are in season and cheap here.

Ice Cream Pickles

2 cups white vinegar
2 tablespoons pickling salt
3 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 teaspoon mustard seed
1 teaspoon celery seed
2 large english cucumbers; washed & thinly sliced
2 large onions; peeled & thinly sliced

The brine will be enough for about 2 english cucumbers that have been washed and sliced thinly Or you can use whatever kind of cukes you have. I don't peel them. A mandoline works great for this.

Bring vinegar, salt, sugar, mustard seed and celery seed to a hard boil, then take off heat and let cool to luke warm.

Pour brine over the cukes and onions, put in a large ice cream container, and keep in fridge. Let set for a couple days. They keep for months. If you want to give some away, just put it in jars.

For those who like a bit of heat, you can add a few hot peppers.

Re: Ice Cream Pickles - labradors - 07-30-2011

Quote:

Ice Cream Pickles
We call them that, because I keep them in a big old empty ice cream bucket in the fridge.

Oh. For a minute, when I saw the title, I thought there was something you hadn't told us.

Re: Ice Cream Pickles - cjs - 07-30-2011

Very close to my bread & butter pickles - absoultely love them. Glad you brought this up, I haven't even thought of the pickles I need to make this year. 1 qt. of dills left.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Bread & Butter Pickles - 1950 Recipe

6 quarts sliced cucumbers
12 large onions, sliced
2 quarts cider vinegar
6 cups sugar
2 Tablespoons white mustard seed
2 Tablespoons turmeric
2 Tablespoons celery seed
1 cup salt

Sprinkle salt over the cucumbers and onions; let stand overnight.
Boil the rest of the ingredients together until sugar is dissolved.

Wash salt from the cucumbers and onions and put in hot syrup.
Fill jars with the pickles and brine and seal according to canning procedures.

Description:
"My mother and I have been making these particular pickles since 1950 - it has to be one of the first recipes I ever made."
Yield:
"6 quarts"

Re: Ice Cream Pickles - Lorraine - 07-30-2011

Other than the tumeric, pretty close. I'm thinking that if I can find fresh dill, I'll add some heads to the next batch.

Re: Ice Cream Pickles - Gourmet_Mom - 07-30-2011

Very cool! I can't wait to get home to do this! William is going to love this!

Re: Ice Cream Pickles - Mare749 - 08-02-2011

Both recipes sound great. Jean, your recipe sounds like the one my in-laws used when they made them every summer. The only difference that I can see is that they diced up a scotch bonnet and put it in the syrup, but I don't know how much they used because they didn't like it too hot. It was just sort of in the background, so it must have been a pretty small amount. We sure did love them!

Re: Ice Cream Pickles - cjs - 08-03-2011

I've added peppers to, I think, all of my pickle recipes over the years now and then. I think the dills are the only ones I consistently add a jalapeno/serrano to.