Cuisine at home Forums
T.G.I.F. What's for Dinner, 9/2? - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: T.G.I.F. What's for Dinner, 9/2? (/showthread.php?tid=126303)

T.G.I.F. What's for Dinner, 9/2? - cjs - 09-02-2011

What's on the menu for today for everyone?

My duck thawed quickly, so I'm finishing it up today and play with duck all weekend. Oh boy.

Re: T.G.I.F. What's for Dinner, 9/2? - farnfam - 09-02-2011

Planning on a little dinner picnic on HMS Sunflower. Seems likes it's going to be the last good boat day. A little sad to see summer slipping away.
On the menu are those eggplant stacks with the roasted pepper and Gorgonzola. A little wine of course, and maybe we'll do a bit of fishing.

Re: T.G.I.F. What's for Dinner, 9/2? - cjs - 09-02-2011

Just saw what I'm adding to the smoker today from the Honey newsletter - sounds so yummy!!

* Exported from MasterCook *

Smoked Honey Ice Cream

5 eggs
2/3 cup sugar
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup milk
1 vanilla bean -- split
1/3 cup smoked honey -- or to taste*

To prepare ice cream base, beat eggs and sugar together in a bowl; reserve. Combine milk and heavy cream in a saucepan; scrape vanilla seeds into mixture, then add whole vanilla bean. Bring to a boil. Immediately reduce heat to low. Temper egg mixture with a little of the hot liquid. Slowly whisk tempered egg mixture into the saucepan.

Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and coats the back of a spoon. Cool. Remove vanilla bean. Pour ice cream base into ice cream maker, following manufacturer’s instructions for freezing. Add smoked honey after the mixture begins to thicken.

Notes: Yield will depend upon the amount of air a particular ice cream maker incorporates into the ice cream.

*Smoke honey over pecan chips at a low temperature for about 1-1/2 hours.

NOTES : If you want to make a fancy, melt-in-your-mouth (literally) dessert for your friends, this is the recipe for you. The smoked honey gives this sweetener an even deeper flavor profile while also giving the ice cream a smoother mouthfeel. Ice creams using honey generally have a lower freezing temperature, which results in an ice cream free of grainy ice crystals

Re: T.G.I.F. What's for Dinner, 9/2? - HomeCulinarian - 09-02-2011

Going to bake a Home Run Inn frozen pizza tonight with a side salad that includes lots of tomato! Then we're going dancing!

Re: T.G.I.F. What's for Dinner, 9/2? - farnfam - 09-02-2011

Those pizzas sure look good

Re: T.G.I.F. What's for Dinner, 9/2? - Mare749 - 09-02-2011

We're having company tonight, so doing 4 different pizzas on the grill and I'll make a big chopped salad to go with.

Edited to add: made marinated fresh veggies instead of salad as they are so nice for nibbling. Also made a fresh fruit salad.

Re: T.G.I.F. What's for Dinner, 9/2? - Trixxee - 09-02-2011

I'm thinking burgers, sweet potato fries and watermelon.

Re: T.G.I.F. What's for Dinner, 9/2? - Gourmet_Mom - 09-02-2011

It's just me and Cricket....the boys are at the camp. We're having steak, baked taters and salad.

Re: T.G.I.F. What's for Dinner, 9/2? - losblanos1 - 09-02-2011

Steak & potatoes here also. Pan fried filet mignons with a port wine sauce & bleu cheese. The side is grilled steak fries w/ bacon, cheddar cheese and a dijon/mayo dipping sauce. I've made both these recipes many times and they are delicious. I've never made them together, I hope they compliment each other, but if not, who cares. I'm hungry. Bon Appetit everyone and Happy labor day!

Re: T.G.I.F. What's for Dinner, 9/2? - Old Bay - 09-02-2011

We found lobster at $7.95/lb--we are having lobster tonight and will use leftover lobster for a lobster roll Sunday brunch!! It's hot and dry here but the lobster is a bargain!!! And sooooooooooo good!! I feel badly that I am taking advantage of a New England lobsterman, but at least we are a market for them. Our beef is going away, so we're all in this together.