Cuisine at home Forums
Knorr Demi-glace - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Knorr Demi-glace (/showthread.php?tid=127780)

Knorr Demi-glace - Mare749 - 10-13-2011

Recently, I asked Jean for help making a large quantity of gravy and she recommended this product. Well, I finally picked it up today at GFS for $18. Not bad at all, especially since it makes 2 gallons of gravy!

Re: Knorr Demi-glace - cjs - 10-13-2011

Hope you're f-i-l likes the gravy, Maryann!! it sure works well for me in so many cases.

Re: Knorr Demi-glace - BarbaraS - 10-13-2011

Oooo!! Oooo!! Oooo!! Is this stuff good??? How do you use a demi-glace? I was so hoping to find it somewhere because Wegman's really pushes their own brand, which is pretty good, but not the brand name I'm looking for.

Barbara

Re: Knorr Demi-glace - esgunn - 10-13-2011

Ok, Maryanne, What store is GFS? Jean, what store do you get it from around here?

Is it dried, frozen, or refrigerated?

My kids LOVE gravy!

Re: Knorr Demi-glace - Gourmet_Mom - 10-13-2011

I've been looking for years! I figure I'll have to get it online. I keep forgetting. BTW, I've been meaning to ask, or have I, what is the main difference between this and the Tones Beef Base that I use?

Re: Knorr Demi-glace - BarbaraS - 10-13-2011

Well I see D'Artanguan's (sp?) Duck Demi Glace all the time at Wegman's all the time. If anyone needs a tub - I think it's like 4 or 6 oz - I can shoot you one frozen.

And then I have the "Better Than"... boullion base that I use.

Barbara

Re: Knorr Demi-glace - cjs - 10-13-2011

Knorr's demi glace is in powder form and it makes wonderful beef sauces. I pick mine up at Cash & Carry. Probably most restaurant supply places will have this. It's a wonderful product.

Re: Knorr Demi-glace - esgunn - 10-20-2011

I just saw two new products at the store. I picked one up to try.

Knorr Homestyle stock It is a small(like 1/4 cup) container (4 in package). It comes in beef too. Looks like it might make a good quick gravy.

And,

Swanson's Flavor Boost. Not sure if they do quite the same thing or not. And I didn't look very close at the nutrition/sodium/ingredients on them. But thought they both looked interesting. I picked up the Knorr brand to try out making a gravy.

Re: Knorr Demi-glace - Mare749 - 10-21-2011

Quote:

Ok, Maryanne, What store is GFS? Jean, what store do you get it from around here?

Is it dried, frozen, or refrigerated?

My kids LOVE gravy!

Sorry, Erin, I just saw this now. GFS is Gordon Food Service, however it is open to the general public, unlike some of the other food service companies. I guess they haven't found there way out west just yet.

Just want to add a note here that we were very happy with the results of the Knorr demi-glace. My dad was especially happy with the flavor. I made up 2 quarts and poured it into small freezer jars so that he could take one out as needed when he has a meatloaf of roast beef.

One last note. This product works out to be 7 cents per ounce and a name brand jarred gravy is 12 cents per ounce, so it's actually less expensive in the long run and tastes a lot better.

Re: Knorr Demi-glace - Trixxee - 10-21-2011

Quote:

I just saw two new products at the store. I picked one up to try.

Knorr Homestyle stock It is a small(like 1/4 cup) container (4 in package). It comes in beef too. Looks like it might make a good quick gravy.

I bought both flavors - especially when I had $2 off coupons. We used one of the beef ones in osso bucco a couple of weeks ago.