Cuisine at home Forums
Sausage Strata - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Sausage Strata (/showthread.php?tid=129410)

Sausage Strata - cjs - 11-28-2011

Forgot to mention this - fixed it Friday a.m. for a family brunch. In the 70s & 80s we made so many stratas, I was really sick of them. But, have not had them for the longest time and I just love this one.

This is from a Chef's Journey...Home. And, I didn't get it made the night before, so it only soaked for a couple of hours, but that worked nicely also - just so we all know.

SAUSAGE STRATA

6 slices bread
1 lb. bulk sausage
1 tsp. prepared mustard
1 cup (4 oz.) grated cheddar cheese
3 large eggs, slightly beaten
1 1/4 cups milk
3/4 cup half-and-half
1/2 tsp. salt
Pepper to taste
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
Dash nutmeg

Spray a 9X13" casserole with cooking spray. Make a single layer with the bread in the dish, cutting pieces to fit.

Brown the sausage in a skillet and pour off any accumulated fat. Combine the mustard with the sausage and pour over bread. Sprinkle the cheese over the top.

Combine the eggs, milk, half-and-half, salt & pepper, worcestershire sauce and nutmeg and pour over the sausage and cheese layers. Let stand several hours or overnight, covered in the refrigerator. Bring to room temperature for 1/2 hour before baking.

Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes, the top will have browned nicely. 6 servings.

Re: Sausage Strata - Old Bay - 11-28-2011

Jane prepared a strata for the baby shower she gave--it was less than we are used to. This one really sounds good and looks easy. I think we will do it with Jimmy Dean Sage Sausage.

Re: Sausage Strata - Lorraine - 11-28-2011

Quote:

the 70s & 80s we made so many stratas

I used to make it for Christmas morning, haven't made it in years. Thanks for the reminder.

Re: Sausage Strata - cjs - 11-28-2011

Bill, if I don't have any homemade sausage, I use Jimmy Dean's.

Re: Sausage Strata - Gourmet_Mom - 11-28-2011

Thanks, Jean! This will be Christmas brunch!

Re: Sausage Strata - Mare749 - 11-28-2011

I've used that recipe a few times, Jean and my family all loved it, especially the boys.(H&H's hubbies) They usually polish off any that is left! Of course, I double the recipe just for them.

Re: Sausage Strata - cjs - 11-28-2011

I'm sure liking it again!