Cuisine at home Forums
Mandoline Reviews/Recommendations - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Mandoline Reviews/Recommendations (/showthread.php?tid=129416)

Mandoline Reviews/Recommendations - BarbaraS - 11-28-2011

Hey All,

I'm thinking of replacing my plastic Borner slicer with a mandoline. Any recommendations would be really helpful.

Barbara

Re: Mandoline Reviews/Recommendations - luvnit - 11-28-2011

I can't even look at a mandoline without thinking about missing the tip of my middle finger on my right hand. My recommendation... Use the guard. Always.

Re: Mandoline Reviews/Recommendations - Old Bay - 11-28-2011

We have a Matfer stainless steel mandoline and have used it for 10 years with one minor cut. I do have a Forschner"Knifeshield", cut proof, but not punctureproof, glove, so you still need extra care with hashbrowns. I always use it. I love my mandoline. We get our gloves at Wm Sonoma and Sur La Tables.

Re: Mandoline Reviews/Recommendations - labradors - 11-29-2011

Maybe you should get one from Captain Corelli. LOL1

Re: Mandoline Reviews/Recommendations - Lorraine - 11-29-2011

Here's another vote for Matfer.

Re: Mandoline Reviews/Recommendations - cjs - 11-29-2011

I also have the Mafter and I use a glove all the time. Love it.

Re: Mandoline Reviews/Recommendations - pjcooks - 11-29-2011

I also have a Mafter. Never had the gloves, just do the ends of the veg by hand. I'm sure I told you all my Mr. Picky and the mandolin story

PJ

Re: Mandoline Reviews/Recommendations - BarbaraS - 11-29-2011

Thanks for the suggestions!! I looked up Mafter on amazon.com and they have a lot of models. I'm still vacillating. And yes, I almost chopped off the tip of my thumb one Thanksgiving when not using the slice guard.

Barbara

Re: Mandoline Reviews/Recommendations - pjcooks - 11-29-2011

The first time I used mine, I sliced off a bit of my thumb (hello, Laura!) Still don't use the guard but am very careful. Gloves are something to look into.

PJ

Re: Mandoline Reviews/Recommendations - luvnit - 11-29-2011

Quote:

The first time I used mine, I sliced off a bit of my thumb (hello, Laura!) Still don't use the guard but am very careful. Gloves are something to look into.

PJ

Yes, I would consider gloves. I was at Good Will today and thought of this thread. They were selling a beautiful looking Mandoline. with the 'V'. I almost bought it. Now I wish I had. If I ever do, gloves will be on the top of the list!