Cuisine at home Forums
A good trip and now I've got GOODIES! - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: A good trip and now I've got GOODIES! (/showthread.php?tid=129427)

A good trip and now I've got GOODIES! - labradors - 11-28-2011

It was great to get home and see my parents after such a long time away. The trip went well and, since I know some of you wanted to know what we'd be eating, here's the list (Although I helped with most, the ones marked * are the ones I made): In addition, I brought back with me:
  • My new Kindle!
  • My pasta maker! (It had been too heavy to pack when I had first come down here).
  • Fennel seed, rubbed sage, marjoram and star anise - a few things that aren't always easy to find in Honduras.
  • Canned Brown Bread (Honduras? Heck, a lot of people in the States have no idea what this is (except for those of us who have lived in New England) and it was even used on Chopped a couple of times recently.)
  • "Knorr Homestyle Stocks" - beef and chicken.
  • A selection of Lindt chocolate to give to some friends who have never had it. Got 70%, 90%, milk, chili and a variety pack of the Lindor Truffles.
  • Cashews and macadamias (cashews are easy to get here, but my mom wasn't sure; macadamias cannot be found here, at all).
  • Almond butter.
  • Olive oil (not difficult to get, here - just very expensive).
  • A salad spinner (especially useful, here, since the salad greens really should be soaked in some chlorinated water and rinsed before using).
  • A tapered-rod-style rolling pin (just never really have been happy with the roller type with the handles and, always wind up using them as the rod type, anyway, for my best results).
  • A battery-operated fan (I'll be able to use it with its AC adapter most of the time, but the battery mode will be great when the power goes out around here).
  • FOUR bottles of Sriracha (can't take any chances of running out - especially when the bottle that costs $2.67 in the States costs $5 or more here, when it's available, although I do still want to try that copycat recipe I posted a couple of weeks ago).
  • Parchment paper (not always easy to find here).
  • Cheesecloth (haven't seen any here, yet).
Anyway, as I said, it was a great trip and a great visit. Thank you for all of your messages for a good and safe trip.

Re: A good trip and now I've got GOODIES! - Gourmet_Mom - 11-28-2011

Wow! You loaded up! Better than Christmas! Glad you had a great visit and safe travel.

Re: A good trip and now I've got GOODIES! - Mare749 - 11-28-2011

Hi Labs! So glad you had a great visit with your parents. Sounds like you ate pretty well too. How fun for you to finally have your pasta maker and a good rolling pin, as well as all your other treasures that you took back with you.

Canned brown bread? I'm very familiar with that although I never buy it that way. My MIL used to make it all the time in small coffee cans and sometimes made pumpkin bread that way too. She's from Pa. not New England, but I think that possibly coming from a German background could be why she makes it. Anyway, it's delicious. Now I want some!

Glad you are home safe and sound!

Re: A good trip and now I've got GOODIES! - BarbaraS - 11-28-2011

What?! No quinoa???

Barbara

Re: A good trip and now I've got GOODIES! - labradors - 11-28-2011

Thanks!

[Image: brownbread.jpg]

Also forgot to list a couple of packets of Knorr Leek "recipe mix" (I guess they changed the name from "soup mix," after all these years, because everyone used it in recipes instead of as soup. LOL!)

Re: A good trip and now I've got GOODIES! - cjs - 11-28-2011

Wow, what a haul and won't you be having fun!!

Re: A good trip and now I've got GOODIES! - Old Bay - 11-28-2011

Welcome back!! What a haul--I wish there were a simple way to ***** down there, you wouldn't be so isolated.Anyway glad the visit was good. Have a merry Christmas!!

Re: A good trip and now I've got GOODIES! - BarbaraS - 11-28-2011

Well Maryann, I can get this from just about all the stores in the area. I can ***** you some! PM me!

Barbara

Re: A good trip and now I've got GOODIES! - labradors - 11-29-2011

Thanks, all.

Re: A good trip and now I've got GOODIES! - HomeCulinarian - 11-29-2011

Glad you had a great trip and were able to bring home some goodies back to Honduras.

I used to make a recipe for brown bread baked in a can a long time ago. It had raisins and included molassas. Wonder if I still have it somewhere!