Cuisine at home Forums
Turkey Cooking Time - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Turkey Cooking Time (/showthread.php?tid=130441)

Turkey Cooking Time - BarbaraS - 12-25-2011

So a couple of posters said their Thanksgiving turkey cooked faster than they thought it should. We have a 5 lb 3 oz turkey breast that I want to stuff. Should I figure 20 minutes per pound at 350? I don't get to cook turkey very often - this is like the 4th time I've done so in my life, believe it or not!

Barbara

Re: Turkey Cooking Time - Harborwitch - 12-25-2011

I'd cook it until it hits a bit over 160, tent and let the carry-over cooking bring it up. The stuffing part throws me a bit. I don't stuff the bird anymore. I'm sure someone will come along with a better answer!

Re: Turkey Cooking Time - BarbaraS - 12-25-2011

I get the done temp, but I've been reading varying cooking times. That's what I really need to know.

And I've decided not to stuff it now, so I imagine that will cut the time quite a bit.

Barbara

Re: Turkey Cooking Time - cjs - 12-25-2011

Unstuffed, Barbara, at 325° should take about 2 hours - hope that helps. But, tented, it will hold nicely for an hour or two, so you can finish rest of dinner.

Re: Turkey Cooking Time - BarbaraS - 12-25-2011

Thanks Jean and Sharon! It's a Shady Brook and it does have a "built-in timer" (we have a different term for this ), and the packaging says 1 3/4 @ 325. So I'll plan on 2 hours with 10-15 minutes of rest. Plus, it'll be cooking in the "big" oven so I think it may cook faster with it's only companion being the stuffing I made.

BTW, Santa gave me one of those Gel-Pro mats... AWESOME!!! I wish I could re-floor my whole kitchen with them!!

Barbara

Re: Turkey Cooking Time - Harborwitch - 12-25-2011

Quote:

Thanks Jean and Sharon! It's a Shady Brook and it does have a "built-in timer" (we have a different term for this ), and the packaging says 1 3/4 @ 325. So I'll plan on 2 hours with 10-15 minutes of rest. Plus, it'll be cooking in the "big" oven so I think it may cook faster with it's only companion being the stuffing I made.

BTW, Santa gave me one of those Gel-Pro mats... AWESOME!!! I wish I could re-floor my whole kitchen with them!!

Barbara

Re: Turkey Cooking Time - Lorraine - 12-26-2011

Quote:

Gel-Pro mats... AWESOME

What a great gift!!

Re: Turkey Cooking Time - cjs - 12-26-2011

My granddaughter gave me one a couple years ago and I love mine, too!!