Cuisine at home Forums
Bread Knife - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Bread Knife (/showthread.php?tid=131788)

Bread Knife - Mare749 - 01-25-2012

I need to find a decent (and reasonably priced) bread knife for my dad. Any recommendations?

Re: Bread Knife - cjs - 01-25-2012

I love my serrated off-set knife from Restaurant supply type store.

Re: Bread Knife - Mare749 - 01-25-2012

Do you mean one of these? This is one of several rest.supply stores that is in my area.

http://www.shopatdean.com/store/pc/shows...ord=bread+knife

Re: Bread Knife - DFen911 - 01-25-2012

I just use the big serrated knife that came with my knife set and it's perfect

Re: Bread Knife - cjs - 01-26-2012

Yes, the offset - except that is sure a phoo-phoo looking one. I have two - one a black handle and one a white handled. In fact, I'm replacing one today. They are both years old.

Re: Bread Knife - labradors - 01-26-2012

Unless you have some really special, additional uses for it, s bread knife doesn't have to be the expensive type of thing that a good chef's knife can be. Just find out whether he would prefer the straight type:

[Image: 109115e.jpg]

or the offset type:

[Image: 11nmzmsiyjlsl500aa300.jpg]

As Jean said, a restaurant-supply store often has good deals on them, but also don't forget the well-kept secret of buying knives at Bed, Bath & Beyond.

Re: Bread Knife - Mare749 - 01-26-2012

Thanks Jean, I thought it looked rather cheapy, not that I want to spend a bundle on it. I'll see what they have at GFS.

Thanks Labs, for the BB&B suggestion. I try to stay away from that place because I'm like a kid in a candy store, but will look online. Never knew that was a well-kept secret!

Re: Bread Knife - Dismc - 01-26-2012

I got my dream bread knife for Christmas. Is ATK's best buy recommendation. Victorinox 10 1/2 wavy blade. Really love it. Think it's about $29 - $39.

Re: Bread Knife - Mare749 - 01-26-2012

Thank you Shannon! Hey, it's nice to "see" you again! Stop in more often.

Re: Bread Knife - Dismc - 01-26-2012

Thanks, Maryann. I'm always here, just slow to respond.