Cuisine at home Forums
Does anyone make duck soup? - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Does anyone make duck soup? (/showthread.php?tid=133465)

Does anyone make duck soup? - Mare749 - 03-12-2012

I saved the scraps and bones from a peking duck that we purchased from Asia Foods hot food counter. (fantastic!)
So, the stock is simmering on the stove now, and I will chill it overnight so that I can remove the fat from the top tomorrow.

Does anyone have a favorite soup recipe for using duck?

Re: Does anyone make duck soup? - cjs - 03-12-2012

Off the top of my head - I've added duck scraps to soups, but have not made a 'duck soup'

- use the broth for a butternut sq. soup and add the duck scraps and a little bacon?

- Asian soup - add some bok choy, rice noodles, snow peas, veggies, mushrooms, cilantro/mint/basil (I love this combination), Thai chilis, lemon grass......

- or a paella using the stock for the rice

do you have any idea how hungry you are making me????

Also, I would think any of your Italian soups using the stock and duck would be wonderful.

Anxious to hear other's thoughts.

Re: Does anyone make duck soup? - Old Bay - 03-12-2012

I'm limited--I've made duck stock and then cleaned the duck off the bones and added the meat to gumbo with, chicken, crawfish, shrimp, chicken stock,etc. Delicious, but a far cry from what you are looking for. AND my ducks were wild!!! I live close enough to Louisiana that there is a little coona-s in me!!

Re: Does anyone make duck soup? - Gourmet_Mom - 03-12-2012

I don't, but I like Jean's Asian idea and the one for paella!

Re: Does anyone make duck soup? - Mare749 - 03-12-2012

Oh my, I do love gumbo. It just might have to be that.

We love Asian soup and I make it all the time, so did think of that, but we have had it a lot lately. Then, I read online that the duck broth makes great mushroom soup, but made that today with chicken broth.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

Re: Does anyone make duck soup? - labradors - 03-13-2012

Quote:

Does anyone make duck soup?

The Marx Brothers did.

Oddly enough, as much as I love duck, I've never had any kind of soup made from it. Would love to try it!

Re: Does anyone make duck soup? - losblanos1 - 03-17-2012

I've never had it, but I found a recipe from Cuisine at Home for Thai red curry duck soup with pineapple. October 2005.

Re: Does anyone make duck soup? - Lorraine - 03-17-2012

I sure wish we could buy duck here.

Re: Does anyone make duck soup? - Mare749 - 03-17-2012

You probably can, Lorraine. Here, they are in the frozen food department. When I bought duck breasts at the West Side Market, they were also frozen.

Thanks Blane, I'll have to see if I have that recipe. I'm thinking that is before I started subscribing though.

Re: Does anyone make duck soup? - BarbaraS - 03-17-2012

Lorraine,

You should visit the D'Artangnan (sp?) foods online. They have some of the finest products I've seen!

Barbara