Cuisine at home Forums
Not TOO far OT: Mass. bans bake sales - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Not TOO far OT: Mass. bans bake sales (/showthread.php?tid=135326)

Not TOO far OT: Mass. bans bake sales - labradors - 05-07-2012

Yes, you read it correctly: Massachusetts is going to ban bake sales. Read this article for more.

Re: Not TOO far OT: Mass. bans bake sales - Gourmet_Mom - 05-07-2012

I won't get into it now, but we've been under this type of restriction for years. I'll leave this with the fact that after a child had a reaction to home baked food at a class party several years ago, my county outlawed ANYTHING served at school that is homemade....store bought only! Totally ruined my famous grownup Christmas party.

Re: Not TOO far OT: Mass. bans bake sales - labradors - 05-07-2012

Yep. America: land of the free (as long as it doesn't offend anyone and the government doesn't decide it's bad for you) and the home of the brave (as long as "brave" doesn't refer to a native American as the name of a team or mascot since, again, we are not allowed to offend anyone).

Re: Not TOO far OT: Mass. bans bake sales - Cubangirl - 05-08-2012

The ACLU part of me hates the ban. Having grandchildren that will be attending MA public schools and the expert on weight control part of me applauds it. Childhood obesity is a huge problem in this country that is getting worse. Schools are huge part of it and just because it has always been done, does not mean that it has to remain that way. Fundraisers will need to get creative. Just my $0.02.

Re: Not TOO far OT: Mass. bans bake sales - Trixxee - 05-08-2012

Aw, that's too bad for the young kids! The Christmas, Valentines and End of the Year school parties were always looked forward to.

I doubt it will have much of an effect on childhood obesity at all. Does a cupcake or a cookie and a juice box a few times a year really matter? Nope.

Re: Not TOO far OT: Mass. bans bake sales - Mare749 - 05-08-2012

It really is a shame, isn't it? So many things have to be considered today and it makes things so complicated.

Only my opinion here, but weight control begins at home. If your children are raised on healthy food, that is what they will like. My grandbabies all love a piece of cake or a cookie once in a while, but you should see them dive into a bowl of sliced oranges, whole strawberries, or a cluster of grapes.

Re: Not TOO far OT: Mass. bans bake sales - cjs - 05-08-2012

I'll just add one point - Why not bring P.E. and outside play recesses back to schools before banning fund-raising (among other reasons) bake sales?

Re: Not TOO far OT: Mass. bans bake sales - DFen911 - 05-08-2012

We've had bake sales banned year for years. The 2 main reasons were A) sanitation and B) allergies. A few bake sales had items that contained hair, and the other issue was peanut and nut allergies. Items weren't labeled and kids being kids would by a brownie and not seeing nuts assume there weren't any. When a child died here a few years back that put an end to that.

Insofar as the weight issue...while weight control does begins at Ho,e, the problem is, many parents are not educated enough. Sure common sense should prevail here, but it doesn't. Not only that, but last week I watched a mother of 3 load up her cart with Swanson TV dinners because they were a buck each. You can't argue with someone on a very limited income that $10 for 10 meals is worse than than spending the same amount on 2 meals and using fresh ingredients that they just cannot afford. We talk about child obesity, and yes it is an epedimic, but it's one we created.

I wish I knew a solution

Re: Not TOO far OT: Mass. bans bake sales - Trixxee - 05-08-2012

It is a shame that many schools have had to do away with PE. Between budget cuts, more emphasis on state testing scores, etc. it seems to have fallen by the wayside.

I think Michael had it twice a week in elementary school, but he also did have two 15 minute recesses and a 40 minute lunch hour where the kids pretty much ate as fast as they could so they could go play (well, I think the 6th graders were too cool for playing).

Currently in our district junior high has PE every day and in high school you are required to take it for two years.

I agree with Maryann - it begins at home. And also with the packed lunch which has got to be healthier and tastier than trucked in cafeteria food.

Re: Not TOO far OT: Mass. bans bake sales - Mare749 - 05-08-2012

Denise brought up a good point also. Many parents are not properly educated regarding healthy eating. My daughters both see it every day. Holly tries to encourage her students to make better choices and Heather attempts to advise the mothers (at the hospital) to buy whole foods rather than processed. She sees obese children every day that come into the hospital clinic eating bagged snacks for breakfast.