Cuisine at home Forums
Guess what I'm doing? - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Guess what I'm doing? (/showthread.php?tid=138411)

Guess what I'm doing? - Gourmet_Mom - 07-21-2012

[Image: Tomatoes.jpg]

Looks like I'm going to be busy! And this is only half of them!

Re: Guess what I'm doing? - Old Bay - 07-21-2012

We just made a big batch of fresh tomato sauce Sicilian and froze it--we made it with fresh tomatoes (what I wouldn't give for yours) and canned "Jersey" tomatoes. By the way, I just ordered a case of Jersey tomatoes. Love those things!!!! The combination of fresh and really good canned is amazing in a marinara!!!

Re: Guess what I'm doing? - BarbaraS - 07-21-2012

Barbara

Re: Guess what I'm doing? - BarbaraS - 07-21-2012

OMG Daphne, they look awesome!

Next year.... next year...

Barbara

Re: Guess what I'm doing? - farnfam - 07-21-2012

Awesome

Re: Guess what I'm doing? - DFen911 - 07-21-2012

Holy cow - bumper crop! That is awesome!!

Re: Guess what I'm doing? - Gourmet_Mom - 07-21-2012

Today is one of those days I wish I had one of those mats in my kitchen. I'm determined to at least get the marinara processed....almost ready to get it to cooking. I won't finish today, but I'm not too concerned. I will have put up all of the ripest ones, all the Brandywines, and all of the purples. I discovered that half of one of those pans were not quite ripe enough. So I'll process them another day. So far, I have about 16 pounds frozen in 28 ounce packs and about a gallon of strained tomato juice. I'll report on the marinara when I finish.

BTW, speaking of the juice, anybody have any idea how I can make Bloody Mary mix out of it?

Re: Guess what I'm doing? - Old Bay - 07-21-2012

BTW, speaking of the juice, anybody have any idea how I can make Bloody Mary mix out of it?

[/blockquote]

Get some "Demitris Bloody Mary Seasoning" from "The Bartenders Choice" and add 2oz per quart of tomato juice--you can freeze individually ---thaw as needed and add vodka and whatever (lemon juice, pepper, celery salt,beef broth --to taste)--I think this is your best option. I wish I had your problem!!!

Thanks, Bill! I knew you two would know! I'll make my order now. I think 'll get another gallon by the time I finish. It's a little on the thin side. I wonder if I should throw a couple seeded tomatoes in the food processor to thicken? Lord knows I have enough to spare! William brought 15 or more home this afternoon! The nut had the nerve to ask me if I wanted to have tomato sandwiches for dinner!

I think I'm going to be able to get about 10 batches of marinara out of the Brandywines and the Purples. I've kept them separated, because I wanted to note the differences in the sauces. I'm so excited!

I have a new problem. How long will my juice last refrigerated last? To take advantage of free shipping, my mix won't be here until the 26th at the earliest.