Cuisine at home Forums
Hanger steak - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Hanger steak (/showthread.php?tid=138820)

Hanger steak - Roxanne 21 - 07-31-2012

Curious to know if any of you have used this cut. If so, how did you prepare?

I saw this cut for the first time in the market last week and picked one up.....I will hold my opinion until I hear yours. I was not overly impressed....maybe I just did not prepare properly. I googled and have a great deal of info but....

Re: Hanger steak - cjs - 07-31-2012

Roxanne, this cut can be a little devil, but to me tasty like a flank!! This is the way I slice mine - Working from both sides and using a sharp knife, slice the steaks against the grain until you reach the strip of gristle in the center. Discard the gristle.

I put a dry rub or marinate overnight with just simple flavors, garlic/rosemary/lemon juice. Salt & pepper.

You can also remove the membrane, if your piece is large enough and cook smaller pieces. That's too bad that you weren't impressed.

Re: Hanger steak - Old Bay - 07-31-2012

Exactly, Jean. I treat it just like a flank. Slice across the grain and serve medium rare.

Re: Hanger steak - Roxanne 21 - 08-01-2012

No flank here---maybe the marinating will do the trick. So excuse my ignorance---you slice BEFORE you cook? The center gristle part was removed before cooking but I did them whole....they really looked great with all of the marbling but......back to the drawing board. DH is the ultimate carnivore and I just know he will think this is much better than my first attempt. THANKS for the input!

Re: Hanger steak - cjs - 08-01-2012

"you slice BEFORE you cook?" Only if your steak is large enough to enable you to end up with nice pieces after removing the gristle.

Re: Hanger steak - Roxanne 21 - 08-02-2012

and mine certainly was...quite large, in fact....hmmmm