Cuisine at home Forums
Thank You, Laura - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Thank You, Laura (/showthread.php?tid=139192)

Thank You, Laura - cjs - 08-09-2012

Whilst MS Laura was on her singular vacation, she and friends had fresh tuna canned and I was the recipient of 2 pints. The first one, I used in a dish and was so disappointed because there were so many flavors, couldn't appreciate the flavor of the tuna!

Last night, I made very simple tuna melts and the tuna was outstanding!

[Image: LaurasTunaMelt.jpg]

darn, what a waste of the first pint! Thanks so much, Laaura, we really enjoyed it.

Re: Thank You, Laura - Gourmet_Mom - 08-09-2012

William would LOVE this one! What bread did you use? Nice crust on it.

Re: Thank You, Laura - Harborwitch - 08-10-2012

I so miss getting free tuna to can!

Re: Thank You, Laura - DFen911 - 08-10-2012

Oh dear...one of favorite sandwiches. Now I'm hungry for one and not a stitch of food in this house

Oh Jean that is just cruel it looks so darn good!!

Re: Thank You, Laura - labradors - 08-10-2012

Just curious: how does THAT "canned" tuna taste compared to store-bought canned tuna and compared to fresh, never-canned tuna? Is it the same as one or the other, sort of like one or the other. or entirely different (somewhere between never-canned fresh and store-bought canned)?

Re: Thank You, Laura - iBcookin - 08-10-2012

And more just curious - how did they can it and how long to process?

Re: Thank You, Laura - cjs - 08-10-2012

Don't laugh, Daphne, but those are hot dog buns - all the bread I had in the house...

Labs, I guess the best answer is in between - it's canned, but it has such a nice freshness and solidness (a word?) to it.

I have never canned tuna myself and it's kind of sad - my old cooking buddy who died (OMG - 3 years ago YESTERDAY!) was going to can some with me when he got sick. I forgot to look at the calendar yesterday. So, now, I'm sure ready to do some also, Sharon.

Re: Thank You, Laura - labradors - 08-10-2012

It's odd, but even though I DO like FRESH tuna, even the smell of just opening any store-bought, canned tuna (packed in water, oil - it doesn't matter) completely turns my stomach - almost to the point of having to fight to keep any previous contents down. Thus, grilled tuna, broiled tuna, baked tuna, tuna sushi, etc. are fine, but I can't get near tuna melts, tuna salad, tuna casseroles or those horrible, horrible people who ruin perfectly good macaroni and cheese by poisoning it with canned tuna.