Cuisine at home Forums
Help! My hands are burning up! - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Help! My hands are burning up! (/showthread.php?tid=139780)

Help! My hands are burning up! - Mare749 - 08-19-2012

Can't believe I'm so dumb. Just got done harvesting and cutting up hungarian hots and a ton of jalapenos for the freezer. My hands are burning like crazy! Any ideas????

Re: Help! My hands are burning up! - esgunn - 08-19-2012

Aloe Jell? Someone mentioned to me to keep it in the refrigerator.

Re: Help! My hands are burning up! - Mare749 - 08-19-2012

Just my luck...had some and gave it to the kiddies. It's slightly less intense now...

Re: Help! My hands are burning up! - esgunn - 08-19-2012

Maybe soak in some cold milk or sour cream? That is what you are supposed to cut it with when eating it...

Re: Help! My hands are burning up! - Lorraine - 08-19-2012

He said wash them really well with soap to get rid of any residual oil. Then soak them in milk or buttermilk 9something about the oils being fat soluble?) . Do I need to send you some gloves? (I have tons_).

Re: Help! My hands are burning up! - Gourmet_Mom - 08-19-2012

OUCH, Maryann! I'm sorry! I know that must hurt!

Good one, Lorraine! It's funny how we all know better and forget some basic facts. I'm really bad about grabbing a skillet out of the oven or off the grill. I have to coach myself every time and leave a towel hanging on the grill or oven door handle.

Re: Help! My hands are burning up! - cjs - 08-19-2012

oh ouch!!!

Re: Help! My hands are burning up! - luvnit - 08-19-2012

I have done this and touched my eye and was miserable for hours!

I will even tell you about a newlywed couple whose hubby was a cook and you can only guess what he touched when he got home!Wink (Jean you can delete this if I am being to explicit)

I agree with whomever said milk or cream, or sour cream. My hands didn't burn, but my eye sure did and cold water was a huge help.

Re: Help! My hands are burning up! - luvnit - 08-19-2012

Read this online:

Excerpt: Then I thought about how my dog got sprayed by a skunk and I used tomato juice which helped. So, I took an over ripe tomato I had, sliced it in half and rubbed those halves all over my hands and let the juice and tomato stay on my hands for a couple of minutes then I washed it off and my hands had quit burning! No harsh chemicals. Yesterday I made more salsa, but I put on my gloves!

Re: Help! My hands are burning up! - Mare749 - 08-19-2012

Still burning, going to try these ideas right now. Thanks!