Cuisine at home Forums
Grapes - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Grapes (/showthread.php?tid=140339)

Grapes - Gourmet_Mom - 09-01-2012

So the grapevine is going crazy this year, and we seem to have beat the animals to them. What would you do with them? They are the Muscadine variety.

Re: Grapes - cjs - 09-01-2012

Oh piddle, Daphne, we had just planted Muscat grapes 2 years before we left the barn, so didn't get a chance to make any wine from them. But, oh my they were good. Roy would kill to be able to work with them.

Just for fun - look here - oh my, this is delicious.

http://www.forums.cuisineathome.com/ubbt...true#Post124095

I'll bring it to the top also. Sharon - how about doing this when you and Bob come over next month??????

Re: Grapes - labradors - 09-01-2012

Don't forget that peeled, seedless muscat grapes are an important garnish for Ajoblanco (Cold White Garlic Soup). YUM!

Re: Grapes - Gourmet_Mom - 09-01-2012

Jean, I think we may be talking about two different types of grape.

William wants me to do Grape Hull Jelly . These grapes have a different name from what I have, but mine are very much like these.

Re: Grapes - cjs - 09-01-2012

I did confuse them in my mind. There are so many similar in name - Muscadet, Muscadine, Muscat,......

Muscadet is the one that is dryer - Muscadine is a sweeter similar to the muscat....that's all I know.

Are muscadine similar in nature to a concord in that the skins slip off easily??? Be fun to see them.

Re: Grapes - Gourmet_Mom - 09-01-2012

Yes, to eat them, you hold the stem end up to you lips, squeeze, and swallow. No chewing...seeds!

You can see them. Check out my FB post on them. Also, if you look at the Blog post above about the Grape Hull Jelly, you will see what they look like as she pops them out of the hull.

I'm pretty sure the Grape Hull Jelly will be what I make. Unless Lorraine and Gil are familiar with them and have another idea. I'm pretty sure they have them in Virginia? I think?

Re: Grapes - cjs - 09-02-2012

Yes, I did look at your link - that's why I thought of concords and how easily their skin slips off.

Have fun with them.

Re: Grapes - Gourmet_Mom - 09-02-2012

LOL! I guess I was having a slow moment there.

Re: Grapes - Lorraine - 09-03-2012

The jelly looks fabulous. I haven't seen that variety in the stores here. He thinks some of the outlying farmer's markets may sell them. We do, however have several gallons of grape mash coming to us. We have asked the winemaker to save it for us. It freezer really well. Last year we cooked a turkey on it. This week they are crushing Petit Manseng grapes.