Cuisine at home Forums
Grape Mash - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Grape Mash (/showthread.php?tid=141835)

Grape Mash - Lorraine - 10-06-2012

For those of you who grow your own grapes, or have access to a winery, you might like this. Last year, the Winemaker gave us a 10 gallon pail of grape mash (the leftovers after being pressed). We used it as a bed to roast a turkey on, then used the juices to make a gravy, that was fabulous. This year, he gave us the mash from Petit Mensang grapes. These had not been crushed or fermented as long. We put them in a stock pot with a bit of water, and simmered them for several hours. I wanted to make a jelly, so strained them, added sugar and Dutch Jell, but I could not get it to set. The end result was a thick syrup, that is great served with cheese. He has more mash for us (not sure what kind), so I'll be making more syrup next week.

Re: Grape Mash - cjs - 10-06-2012

Sounds like that 'syrup' would be great drizzled over a fruit and cheese platter, Lorraine!! That mash is fun to play with.

Some more ideas for using it - one winery here in town spreads it aroud their shrubery. It looks good and smells grapey/musty and not the least off putting. Also, a friend of our grandson's who works with his dad in concrete told us at the Pig BBQ that a portion of the mashed grapes is now being used as a driveway paving. Evidently it hardens and can be driven on.

It's really interesting what's being done with the 'gunk.'

Re: Grape Mash - Gourmet_Mom - 10-06-2012

That sounds really good, Lorraine! You have a real knack for turning a failure into a success!

Re: Grape Mash - Roxanne 21 - 10-06-2012

Now that sounds special---I must inform son-in-law about this----he will come up with a great idea for the mash...

Re: Grape Mash - BarbaraS - 10-06-2012

That sounds really awesome Lorraine! What a creative idea!

Barbara

Re: Grape Mash - Mare749 - 10-06-2012

That sounds delicious, Lorraine. Don't forget to save some for yourself to drizzle on pancakes.