Cuisine at home Forums
Cleaning a SELF_CLEANING OVEN!!!! - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Cleaning a SELF_CLEANING OVEN!!!! (/showthread.php?tid=142012)

Cleaning a SELF_CLEANING OVEN!!!! - Roxanne 21 - 10-09-2012

Because I have the floor finishers here, I decided to clean my ovens.....way overdue!!!

My ovens are Miele self-cleaning BUT I spent about four hours!!!! I do keep up with the cleaning but is there a really easy method to accomplish the task??? I scraped until my fingers are sensitive----oh my!!!

The toughest task was the pizza stone and glass from the "spits" of the oil/cheese/pasta sauce---

I guess I am just getting to be a bit too compulsive---DUHHH.

Sure would be nice if you have any easier method for cleaning the SELF-CLEANING!!!!!

Re: Cleaning a SELF_CLEANING OVEN!!!! - cjs - 10-09-2012

Is this one of those that supposedly continually cleans? I had one and I, too, had to clean it periodically. Didn't like it at all. Seems like there was something I sprayed on it and let it sit for a couple/four (?) hours and it made it easier. Amonia something comes to mind. I just can't remember. But, I agree they are a pain.

Re: Cleaning a SELF_CLEANING OVEN!!!! - luvnit - 10-09-2012

There is a difference between self-cleaning and continuous cleaning ovens. Remember NEVER spray a continuous cleaning oven with ANYTHING.

I had a brief stint selling appliances a loooong time ago.

That being said, my previous oven was self-cleaning. I hit the button, the doors locked and it incinerated everything in the oven. I merely wiped it out after 4-6 hours of high heat cleaning. (I did always remove the chrome racks because I know it will bake the chrome right off of them. I cleaned those separately. Garbage bag and amonia method)

Re: Cleaning a SELF_CLEANING OVEN!!!! - Gourmet_Mom - 10-09-2012

Garbage bag and ammonia method?

Re: Cleaning a SELF_CLEANING OVEN!!!! - luvnit - 10-09-2012

Yeah, just get a nice big leaf bag, double bag it if you can. Put both racks in the bag, dump about a cup or two of amonia in the bag. Seal the bag tightly and let sit overnight. Next day, spray with garden hose. Most everything will come off that way. Use a green scratchy to get any little black bits off the chrome, if you care to be that particular. Done.

Re: Cleaning a SELF_CLEANING OVEN!!!! - BarbaraS - 10-09-2012

I am so happy to read this! I would've just left the racks in the oven. Thanks Laura!!

Barbara

Re: Cleaning a SELF_CLEANING OVEN!!!! - Gourmet_Mom - 10-09-2012

Thanks, Laura!

Re: Cleaning a SELF_CLEANING OVEN!!!! - cjs - 10-09-2012

Yes, there is a difference and when I got rid of that (continuous)self-cleaning oven, I switched to the other self-cleaning and /loveloved each of them to death!! I allways remove the racks - if you don't when you lose the chrome, they don't slide nicely anymore!

Re: Cleaning a SELF_CLEANING OVEN!!!! - pjcooks - 10-09-2012

Quote:

(I did always remove the chrome racks because I know it will bake the chrome right off of them. I cleaned those separately. Garbage bag and amonia method)

I do a slightly different thing- I wrap the racks in newspaper, outside, then soak it all in ammonia. The sun does it's thing and they're perfect.

PJ

Re: Cleaning a SELF_CLEANING OVEN!!!! - labradors - 10-09-2012

My oven is "continuous cleaning." When I got it, that was the first I had ever heard of it, but it has worked very well for me. It's made by Mabe, which is the Mexican branch of GE.