Cuisine at home Forums
What's for Dinner, Tues., 10/16/12?? - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: What's for Dinner, Tues., 10/16/12?? (/showthread.php?tid=142403)

What's for Dinner, Tues., 10/16/12?? - cjs - 10-16-2012

What's on the menu for everyone today??

I don't know what we're having yet, but it's going to be something that is NOT rich! Something soothing.

Re: What's for Dinner, Tues., 10/16/12?? - Roxanne 21 - 10-16-2012

Not a clue---or maybe a salad type of something.

Re: What's for Dinner, Tues., 10/16/12?? - Trixxee - 10-16-2012

I have leftover cheesy potato soup that is actually almost like a sauce because you coarsely mash the potatoes so I might just heat up a little bit of that over some type of pasta (penne or rigatoni) and top it with a little sliced chicken breast.

Must be a small serving though. Waistline seems to be expanding by the day! And in anticipation of that meal, I think I better just have a piece of tilapia for lunch.

Re: What's for Dinner, Tues., 10/16/12?? - farnfam - 10-16-2012

If someone would help me remember which issue it is in, I have every thing to make the vanilla pears and pork chop dish.
I know I have the issue, but which is it???

Re: What's for Dinner, Tues., 10/16/12?? - Trixxee - 10-16-2012

I'm never sure what issue it's in Cis but I found the basic recipe on Noble Pig. They have adapted it from C@H so there are probably a couple of minor changes because of copyright issues.

http://noblepig.com/2009/11/vanilla-cider-pork-with-pears-walnut-wild-rice/

Re: What's for Dinner, Tues., 10/16/12?? - BarbaraS - 10-16-2012

Taht recipe is just heaven! Made it last Saturday and the kitchen smelled so wonderful. Tomorrow I'll bring in the leftovers and terrorize my co-workers!

Barbara

Re: What's for Dinner, Tues., 10/16/12?? - Mare749 - 10-16-2012

Here is the one I've copied, so that you can compare the two.

Vanilla Cider Pork With Pears

Melt Butter; Add:
3 Tbs unsalted butter
3 Bosc pears, peeled, cored, and quartered
Season; Dredge in Flour and Saute:
1 lb pork tenderloin, trimmed, sliced into twelve 1-inch-thick medallions, seasoned
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
Combine and Deglaze Pan; Brint to a Boil:
1 cup chicken broth
1 cup hard apple cider
1/3 cup heavy cream
Add; Boil and Reduce by Half:
1 vanilla bean, split and scraped
Salt and pepper to taste

1. Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add pears and saute until lightly browned; remove from pan.

2. Season pork with salt and pepper, then dredge in flour. Saute medallions for 2 minutes on each side in the same pan the pears were sauteed in; remove from pan.

3. Combine broth, cider, and cream; add to the pan to deglaze. Bring to a boil.

4. Add vanilla pod and seeds. Boil until reduced by half, about 4 minutes. Return pears and pork to the pan along with any accumulated juices. Boil until thick, about 4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper before serving.

Servings: 6
Yield: 12 medallions

Tips
Serve with Walnut Wild Rice
Source: (Cuisine at home, October 2004, Issue 47, p. 34)
------------------------------------------------

ETA: Almost forgot dinner! Tonight will be a copycat recipe of Olive Garden's Zuppa, but mine will be made with Italian turkey sausage to save calories.

Re: What's for Dinner, Tues., 10/16/12?? - cjs - 10-16-2012

Fell back on an favorite - pizza. I'm playing with a 2-day fermented dough, so used 1/4 of it today. Didn't want anything rich, so went with these topping and wow, great flavor.

Cannellini beans, smashed and mixed with 1 tsp. chopped capers, 3 large cloves roasted garlic, lots of pepper and the goop from the baking sheet I baked a lonely little chicken breast (seasoned with truffle salt and Laura's seasoned pepper) on.
Very little of the cheese: mozz, smoked gruyere, parm & romano
chicken slices
tomato slices
red onion slices.

[Image: 2012-10-16014533.jpg]

Just what we were looking for.

Re: What's for Dinner, Tues., 10/16/12?? - losblanos1 - 10-16-2012

Jean, I'd like to order one for delivery, and make it a large, please! Outstanding!

Tonight's dinner is an old favorite- Jalapeno beef with tortilla chili sauce over mashed potatoes.

Re: What's for Dinner, Tues., 10/16/12?? - cjs - 10-16-2012

You got it!!