Cuisine at home Forums
Interesting to note... - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Interesting to note... (/showthread.php?tid=143682)

Interesting to note... - DFen911 - 11-14-2012

I decided to make my own turkey breakfast sausage since turkeys are on sale. I bought 2 15lb turkeys. I skinned both, removed giblets, neck and bones and diced them up. First turkey yielded 6.23 lbs of meat and the second turkey 6.49 lbs. I even weighed them before I started to make sure the tags were showing the correct weight. Each was off just under an ounce.

Re: Interesting to note... - Trixxee - 11-14-2012

Denise, are you going stir crazy up there?

Re: Interesting to note... - luvnit - 11-14-2012

It is interesting to know how much yield you get.

Are you going to boil the bones for broth or soup?

Re: Interesting to note... - cjs - 11-14-2012

All kinds of goodies from the whole thing, I'll bet she used everything.

Re: Interesting to note... - Gourmet_Mom - 11-14-2012

I bet she did, too!

Re: Interesting to note... - iBcookin - 11-15-2012

We had our turkey tournament Saturday to benefit the local food banks. We provide a full thanksgiving meal to the participants after the golfing, but our numbers were half this year that they were last year so I decided not to cook whole turkeys, just turkey breasts. For 70 people I did 6 breasts, each 8 1/2 to 9 1/2 pounds a piece, plus a 30 pound ham, 50 pounds of potatoes, stuffing, green beans and pies. By the end of the meal there was NO turkey or ham left, enough potatoes to fill a 3# sour cream container and the same with the beans and stuffing. I could not believe how much food they ate. I thought that there would certainly be enough meat with just 70 people, but boy was I wrong! I never even got a bite!

Somewhere along the line I had the misguided notion that the breasts were boneless, and they weren't, so I struggled to carve them cause there is no carcass to stabilize them. I'm mangling these poor birds and all I can think of is Julia Child giving instructions on how to carve your thanksgiving turkey - I'm sure she was howling watching me butcher these poor things!

Sunday I cooked all the bones down for broth (no meat left, we had literally picked them clean to serve everyone) and have enjoyed the broth all this week!

Re: Interesting to note... - cjs - 11-15-2012

Good visual, Linda!

Re: Interesting to note... - Gourmet_Mom - 11-15-2012

Bless your heart! But you pulled it off!

Re: Interesting to note... - Lorraine - 11-16-2012

Denise, we've been thinking of doing that, as turkeys are 49 cents/lb here. Which recipe did you use? Linda, great job!!!

Re: Interesting to note... - DFen911 - 11-16-2012

1 lb ground turkey
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons sage
1 teaspoon fennel seed
1 teaspoon thyme
1 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon white pepper
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon allspice

This is the recipe for 1 pound of meat. Now I only did 1.5 tsp of the sage and 1/2 of the white pepper and cayenne. Next time I think I'll also reduce the salt a bit. It wasn't over salty, but then I'm a salt freak. I then formed them in 2oz patties and baked them. Then I froze them so Derek can grab 2 from the freezer and micro em or brown them up in a skillet.