Cuisine at home Forums
Making Tortillas - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Making Tortillas (/showthread.php?tid=144694)

Making Tortillas - luvnit - 12-13-2012

I thought I would warm up to Lefse making by making some Tortillas the day before!

I have never made tortillas so any tips or advice would be great!

I have a bag of Maseca, a tortilla press, and a griddle. Plan on following the directions on the back of the bag. That is the plan anyway...

[Image: corn-tortillas_2.jpg]

Re: Making Tortillas - farnfam - 12-13-2012

I add a little salt to the maseca and water.

Re: Making Tortillas - labradors - 12-14-2012

I've never had much luck with the presses - especially the metal ones: the handles always break before the tortilla has been fully pressed. Ultimately, I just get better results with my hands, instead of a press.

Re: Making Tortillas - Harborwitch - 12-14-2012

More than likely I'm late to the party. I use boiling water to make the dough (and after mixing I let it set for about 30 min.), line the press with a split plastic bag, and use a small cookie scoop to portion the dough into balls and sort of knead them a minute or two before pressing. I also press, rotate the bag, press again to the desired thickness. Patience.

Re: Making Tortillas - luvnit - 12-14-2012

Quote:

I've never had much luck with the presses - especially the metal ones: the handles always break before the tortilla has been fully pressed. Ultimately, I just get better results with my hands, instead of a press.

Funny!

Re: Making Tortillas - cjs - 12-14-2012

I do pretty much as Sharon does - so, how did they turn out??? Personally, I think tortillas are more difficult to work with than Lefse, by far!

Today is the day! Got my dough mixed and I am waiting for the bus to take my kids to school. Then I will go to it!

Have fun!

Wow I am all done! I made about 35 of them, ate 5. Boy these are addictive. It was very, very easy.

The tortilla press worked just great. It took a couple of try before I got the amount of dough just right for the size of my press. Can't wait to have them in the lasagna tonight!

congratulations!! Now, I'm anxious to hear of your work with lefse!