Cuisine at home Forums
Ham & Egg Breakfast Braid - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Ham & Egg Breakfast Braid (/showthread.php?tid=145581)

Ham & Egg Breakfast Braid - luvnit - 12-31-2012

Did you know you can buy 'seamless' Crescent Roll dough now? I saw it in the store the other day and it made me think of this recipe that my SIL gave me. She got it from the Home Ec teacher at her school. It is really good, easy and impressive to make.

Here it is BEFORE it goes into the oven....
[Image: 644347_4434742259828_583045721_n.jpg]

Here it is when it comes out of the oven....

[Image: 423178_4434830582036_940477187_n.jpg]

HAM & EGG BREAKFAST BRAID

1/2 cup milk
4 ounces cream cheese, softened
8 eggs
salt and pepper to taste
2 (8 ounce) packages refrigerated crescent roll dough
4 ounces cooked ham, thinly sliced
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
1 T Green onions
1 T Red pepper

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).

2. Beat milk and cream cheese together until smooth (cr cheese will be lumpy, that is okay). Saute pepper and onion in butter til soft 2 min. Mix in eggs, and season with salt and pepper. Cook in lightly oiled skillet over medium high heat and cook egg mixture until eggs are almost set.

3. Arrange the crescent rolls to form a rectangle shape on top of a lightly greased cookie sheet. Pinch seams together. Cut 3" long 1" wide strips on each side (there should be 12 strips on each side).

4. Arrange the ham in a layer down the center of the dough. Spoon the cooked egg mixture on top of the ham and then sprinkle the cheddar cheese on top of the eggs. Bring the strips of the dough together over the cheese and give each strip 2 twists to meet in the middle to form a 'braid' shape.

5. Bake in preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes, until cheese is melted and rolls are golden brown.

I thought of Jean and Roy making this in the motorhome. It is easy to half this recipe and just looks really pretty.

I have seen other versions that do not 'twist' the strips while braiding, not quite as pretty. But still looks good.

[Image: Ham-Breakfast-Braid-Allrecipes-98173.card.jpg]

Re: Ham & Egg Breakfast Braid - cjs - 12-31-2012

Love those kind of breakfast goodies!! Just looked for a family favorite to add to the thread and darn it, can't find it. I know we made it a lot of New Years mornings.

I get the Pillsbury newsletter, so I've seen the dough sheet pkg. but have not bought it to play with.

Re: Ham & Egg Breakfast Braid - BarbaraS - 12-31-2012

OMG Laura, that looks awesome!

I'm not quite sure I get the assembly visual in step 3.

Barbara

Re: Ham & Egg Breakfast Braid - luvnit - 12-31-2012

You use two cresent roll rectangles and put them next to each other to form one BIG rectangle and pinch the seam together. Place the filling down the center 1/3 rd. On each side of the center you have 1/3 rd of dough that you cut into 1" wide strips for braiding.

Oh man it is hard to explain. But here is a youtube video I found that shows it. She starts the process at about 5:00 into the video, just click on the timeline and go there to watch her. She uses a knife, but It is easier to use a pizza cutter to cut the strips.

This should clear up the confusion for anyone
Crescent Roll Braid

Re: Ham & Egg Breakfast Braid - BarbaraS - 12-31-2012

Laura,

You just explained it perfectly. I understand it now. But thanks for the video!

Barbara

Re: Ham & Egg Breakfast Braid - Gourmet_Mom - 12-31-2012

That is beautiful, Laura! And it sounds delicious!

Re: Ham & Egg Breakfast Braid - luvnit - 12-31-2012

I am glad you understand it Barbara, I barely understand myself when I explain it...

Re: Ham & Egg Breakfast Braid - Roxanne 21 - 12-31-2012

OHHHH YUMMMM!!!! Now I will have to make a home made version of crescent roll dough---should not be too difficult....a good one for Peter!!!

Re: Ham & Egg Breakfast Braid - Mare749 - 12-31-2012

Thanks, Laura. This looks so good and the video helped, too.

Re: Ham & Egg Breakfast Braid - karyn - 12-31-2012

That is gorgeous! Thanks for posting the pictures and the recipe. Both have been saved!!