Cuisine at home Forums
Microwave thoughts? Kitchen remodel! - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Microwave thoughts? Kitchen remodel! (/showthread.php?tid=145877)

Microwave thoughts? Kitchen remodel! - Harborwitch - 01-05-2013

I think we've narrowed our decision to a Whirlpool WMH76718AB or a Maytag MMV6180WS. Not sure, we've heard conflicting reports about max convection temp and we're waiting for answers. It's a big purchase so we'll be drinking plonk and eating beans for a while. Since I don't have another oven, and need a microwave and hood . . .

Then for this summer we have 3 Burner cooktop! Of course I figure the fridge will "belly up" right afterwards. . . just before my hoped for new sink.

If anyone has any experience with either of these "over the range convection microwave" models I'd love to hear feedback.

Re: Microwave thoughts? Kitchen remodel! - Cubangirl - 01-06-2013

I don't' know about those, but DD's high end Miele only went to 375 high in convection (Ok because her Viking stove also has a convection oven). Consumer Reports did not rate the Maytag very highly if you ever use their ratings.

Re: Microwave thoughts? Kitchen remodel! - Harborwitch - 01-06-2013

Our old one went to 450. I have used CR's rankings with both good and bad results. The best microwave I've ever had as far as actually working was a $40 Goldstar! It's in ND and wouldn't work in this situation.

Re: Microwave thoughts? Kitchen remodel! - Cubangirl - 01-06-2013

We love our Panasonic Inverter oven. It is not convection, but otherwise great. It cooks fast and fits a 9X13 pan on the roundtable which means I don't have to turn anything and can make my 6 layer bar cookies. In addition to our big oven which has convection, our Breville toaster oven does as well. That one will also fit a 9X13 pan without handles or a round 13 pizza pan and does go up to at least 450.

I don't know if Panasonic makes an over the stove one, but that would be my choice if they did.

Re: Microwave thoughts? Kitchen remodel! - Trixxee - 01-06-2013

I'm no help Sharon. Between you, Jean and Denise I'm amazed at the dishes you guys cook in an RV. We have used our oven once in 7 years (the people before us never used it) and have used the micro/convection maybe 12 times. It's been used so infrequently I don't even know what the model of the micro is.

Good luck in your purchase. Picking the right appliance for any use can be overwhelming for me.

Re: Microwave thoughts? Kitchen remodel! - cjs - 01-06-2013

Wow, Trixxee, no wonder every oven in every vehicle we've bought has always had the best looking ovens. I just thought they were a heck of a lot neater cooking than me.

Re: Microwave thoughts? Kitchen remodel! - Trixxee - 01-06-2013

The Weber Q is our best friend. And the crock pot. And local restaurants.

Re: Microwave thoughts? Kitchen remodel! - Harborwitch - 01-06-2013

Panasonic makes a couple convection/microwave/over the range models. Problem is that they are 1.1 cubic ft., 850 watts, and don't have all the features we're looking for. We had a Panasonic Inverter Microwave and loved it until it died.

We have to have the convection since this is our only oven. The two we're looking at are 1.8 cf - we can get a 12" pizza in either of them. We really tried to figure out how to get that Breville to work in here. We thought maybe where the ancient 2 slice toaster oven is - but it's too big.

Jean that's funny - the one we have didn't look like it had ever been used - of course the whole coach looked like it had never been used. Sadly that's not the case now!