Cuisine at home Forums
Bacon Jam - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Bacon Jam (/showthread.php?tid=146286)

Bacon Jam - DFen911 - 01-13-2013

If you haven't done so, then you must make this recipe the next time you do a batch of 18 hour bread.

Nigella's Bacon Jam

Because if you do you will end up with an appetizer or afternoon snack that leaves you completely satisfied. I served it with a Pinot Grigio to help cleanse the palate. Simply divine.

[Image: 580536_10151409106476322_748106577_n_zpsda738044.jpg]

Re: Bacon Jam - Harborwitch - 01-13-2013

I so have to make it. We had it at Jean & Roy's and brought a bit home. Loved it. I should put it on my "bucket list"!

Re: Bacon Jam - mjkcooking - 01-13-2013

Denise did you see the Bacon Pate listed also?

Yum Yum

Re: Bacon Jam - karyn - 01-13-2013

I sooo love bacon jam...I haven't yet figured out whit it doesn't taste good on or with!

Re: Bacon Jam - DFen911 - 01-13-2013

Yes and I think the pate will be next

Re: Bacon Jam - Cubangirl - 01-13-2013

I made the recipe below last week it and it was so easy, it goes on everything, eggs, toast, pizza and even a bit on a salad, yumm. I was a bit dubious about the coffee, but it was like adding a TBS. of espresso to brownies, it takes from great to Oh My!!!!. The sauté pan made it go faster. I cut my bacon first with scissors and then used these to separate the little stacks. I have the 10". Don't know how I managed before without them.

EXPORTED FROM LIVING COOKBOOK

BACON JAM

This bacon jam recipe, made from maple syrup and bacon and coffee, is a sweet condiment slathered on burgers at Skillet diner in Seattle. Can use cider vinegar and omit the coffee.

Servings: 48 Yield: 3 cups

Preparation Time: 35 minutes Cooking Time: 2 hours and 10 minutes
Inactive Time: 15 minutes Total Time: 3 hours

1½ lbs. sliced bacon
2 medium yellow onions
3 garlic cloves (optional)
3/4 cup strongly brewed coffee
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
1/3 cup packed dark brown sugar,(up to ½)
1/4 cup maple syrup

Cut bacon crosswise into 1" pieces. Cut onions into small dice. Peel and smash garlic.

In a large (5½ qt.) non-stick sauté pan over medium heat, cook the bacon, stirring occasionally, until the fat is rendered and the bacon is lightly browned, about 20 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the bacon to paper towel-lined plates to drain.

Pour off all but 1 TBS. drippings from the skillet and reserve for another use. Add the onions and garlic to the skillet and cook until the onions are translucent, about 6 minutes.

Add the coffee, vinegar, brown sugar, and maple syrup and bring to a boil. Cook, stirring and scraping up any browned bits from the skillet, for 2 minutes.

Add the bacon and stir to combine.

If making this on a stove top, reduce the heat to a bare simmer and cook uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the liquid almost completely evaporates and turns syrupy, 1 to 1½ hours.
If making this in a slow-cooker, transfer the mixture to a 6-qt slow-cooker and cook on high, uncovered, until the liquid almost completely evaporates and turns syrupy, 3½ to 4 hours.

Let the bacon concoction cool slightly before transferring it to a food processor and pulsing until coarsely chopped. Spoon the bacon lusciousness into individual jars or other resealable containers and refrigerate for up to 4 weeks. Transfer to a pan and rewarm gently over low heat prior to indulging.

Recipe Type: Bacon, Breakfast and Brunch Foods, Jams, Jellies and Preserves, Make-Ahead, Onions

Author: Renee Schettler Rossi
Source: Leite's Culinaria
Web Page: http://leitesculinaria.com/82690/recipes-bacon-jam.html

Re: Bacon Jam - DFen911 - 01-13-2013

Alina I like the differences between the two. I think I may have to try your version too. the app,e cider in mine added a tartness while I think the balsamic in yours would add another depth of richness.

Re: Bacon Jam - Gourmet_Mom - 01-13-2013

Okay, I WILL be making this after payday!

Re: Bacon Jam - Cubangirl - 01-14-2013

The original recipe I used called for apple cider vinegar, but I generally prefer balsamic so I switched it and liked the result. Of all vinegars, sherry vinegar is my favorite, so I might use that next time and see if I can tell the difference.

BTW, since we only drink espresso (don't know if we even have a regular coffee maker anymore) and I was lazy, so I used a TBS. from very old jar of Folgers coffee crystals I had food savered in the freezer, and dissolved it in a cup of very hot tap water, then just added the 3/4 cup threw the rest away. It smelled very strong but it worked. Next time, I'll just use a tsp. of the espresso powder I keep in the freezer for chocolate baking, and add hot water to make 3/4 cup and use that.

Re: Bacon Jam - DFen911 - 01-14-2013

For the 1 cup of coffee I used what we brew each morning which is from a French Press and much stronger than most coffee.

This is really a fun recipe to do I am even considering doing it again with peach balsamic just to taste the flavors.