Cuisine at home Forums
A pestle w/o a mortar - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: A pestle w/o a mortar (/showthread.php?tid=148630)

A pestle w/o a mortar - labradors - 03-14-2013

On my most recent trip to Guatemala, I noticed someone using what I can only describe as a "pestle without a mortar." It was just a simple, wooden tool used to crush seeds on a counter top (or even to mash potatoes in a pot or bowl). Since I love to use a mortar and pestle, but the one I have isn't that big (but weighs a ton, since it's marble), I decided to buy one at the bargain store that was right next to the hotel. For U.S. $0.38, I couldn't go wrong.

Actually, it turns out to work VERY well and I love it, so here it is - just 4 1/2" high and 2 1/2" in diameter:

[Image: piln.jpg]

Re: A pestle w/o a mortar - Gourmet_Mom - 03-14-2013

Well isn't that the cutest thing! So the seeds don't go flying while trying to crush them?

Re: A pestle w/o a mortar - labradors - 03-14-2013

So far, no, once you get used to rocking it back and forth a certain way. I'll find out as I try with different seeds. Of course, one could always use a bowl for it to be more like a mortar and pestle. Yesterday, I used it - in a bowl - to crush some mint/chocolate hard candies to add to some yogurt and it worked very well.

Re: A pestle w/o a mortar - cjs - 03-14-2013

Oh Wow, Roy can make these!!!!! Idea is copied!!! thanks Labs.

Re: A pestle w/o a mortar - Gourmet_Mom - 03-14-2013

That's what I was thinking, Jean!

Re: A pestle w/o a mortar - Trixxee - 03-14-2013

Is that a chess piece or a cabinet knob?

Re: A pestle w/o a mortar - labradors - 03-14-2013

I thought the same things as both Jean and Trixxee.

BTW, the method of using this is not to pound down with it or to roll it around the bottom of a mortar, but to rock it back and forth.

Also, the wood on the bottom is NOT extremely smooth, but somewhat rough - probably one of the reasons it doesn't shoot the seeds across the room. It's not flat, either, but somewhat rounded.

Re: A pestle w/o a mortar - foodfiend - 03-14-2013

very cool! I have an old wooden one, and a stoneware set that I don't use because it's so heavy-- I'd love to find one of these (and I'd pay more than 38 cents, too!)

Re: A pestle w/o a mortar - DFen911 - 03-15-2013

Labs can you get a pic of the bottom?

Roy, you might need to make up some order sheets

Re: A pestle w/o a mortar - labradors - 03-15-2013

LOL! Sure. Right now, it's just after midnight, though, and this camera doesn't do any better indoors than my other one (hence why I'll be buying a good one, soon), so it'll have to wait until daylight so I can take the photo outside, as I did the first one.