Cuisine at home Forums
help! storing filled cannoli :) - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: help! storing filled cannoli :) (/showthread.php?tid=148644)

help! storing filled cannoli :) - foodfiend - 03-14-2013

We've been in DE for several days doing "new house stuff". I was supposed to make a cake for my Dad's birthday on Saturday, but we had to stay an extra day, then arrived home this evening, and I'll have only a day here to do a bunch of things before driving to visit my parents for a couple of days on Saturday. I decided to buy Dad a cake in a wonderful Italian bakery before we left this afternoon.

It's a small and adorable "cannoli cake" and the pastry chef gave me a cannoli to lay on top for presentation. I have the cake wrapped and in the freezer (it will thaw slowly during our trip on Saturday) but I don't know how to store the cannoli. It's filled with pastry cream and sprinkled on the ends with mini chocolate chips. I haven't put it in the fridge, but on the porch where it's cool. Any suggestions?

Re: help! storing filled cannoli :) - labradors - 03-14-2013

I find they store very well in my stomach.

Re: help! storing filled cannoli :) - Mare749 - 03-15-2013

No idea, but it sure sounds good.

Re: help! storing filled cannoli :) - foodfiend - 03-15-2013

Labs, so where shall I send it???

Maryann, it's the cutest cake. Small, about 5" in diameter and 4" high, but very fancifully decorated. I've never bought a cake before and if it's as good as it looks, I'll be hard pressed to make one again! And for $10, I thought it was a good price (actually the guy behind the counter gave it to me for $8 when he heard that I was from Pittsburgh!). They had a lovely, similarly-sized rum cake as well, and we may be there for my birthday later in April, so... yum.

I just checked the cannoli. It is not soggy, but still cool (for the pastry cream) so fingers are crossed that it lasts for another 32 hours!

Re: help! storing filled cannoli :) - BarbaraS - 03-15-2013

Ooooooo... Italian Rum Cake....

Barbara

Re: help! storing filled cannoli :) - cjs - 03-15-2013

Wish I could help, but must say any cannelloni I've had on hand didn't last that long. Good luck.

"cannoli"

Re: help! storing filled cannoli :) - Cubangirl - 03-15-2013

Hopefully the cannoli won't morph into cannelloni. Though I must admit, of the two I prefer the latter if it is veal with a bechamel sauce.

One of my favorite typos is from a gal on the old CI board that wanted to make a tamponade.

Re: help! storing filled cannoli :) - BarbaraS - 03-15-2013

ROTFLMAO!!!

Barbara

Re: help! storing filled cannoli :) - foodfiend - 03-15-2013

SO glad that I had swallowed my juice and set it down....