Cuisine at home Forums
Ridiculous kitchen gadgets - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Ridiculous kitchen gadgets (/showthread.php?tid=148908)

Ridiculous kitchen gadgets - labradors - 03-22-2013

Remember Alton Brown's admonitions against unitaskers such as THESE?

One of them (#6 - the "Mocubo") looks innocent enough, but makes me wonder how many home cooks will cut up a bunch of veggies, put them into the below-the-cutting-board drawers and then cut up raw meat on the same board. What worries me is not the obvious potential for cross-contamination on the board, itself - that is always possible with any board, but rather the potential for cross-contamination with veggies in the drawers as meat juices inevitably roll down the front of the board and into the veggie drawers. There are plenty of other reasons the product wouldn't make sense: What if you need to cut more veggies than the drawer capacities? If it's supposed to help with counter space, why not just get stackable food-storage containers? You could get a lot of those for the money you'd spend on the Mocubo (and it only has three drawers, anyway).

Re: Ridiculous kitchen gadgets - Trixxee - 03-22-2013

Yeah, the Mocubo looks pretty silly.

Re: Ridiculous kitchen gadgets - cjs - 03-22-2013

They all look kind of ridiculous, I think.

Re: Ridiculous kitchen gadgets - Harborwitch - 03-22-2013

Actually that mocambo thing looks a little bit interesting - only because I have so little counter space when I'm doing prep work, but it would put the cutting surface too high. I was going to put a paper towel holder under my flip out "island", but maybe a little shelf of some kind . . . .

Re: Ridiculous kitchen gadgets - Cubangirl - 03-22-2013

In the Cookaholics forum we have an "arrant prac" thread that focuses on useless gadgets. Here are a few for your enjoyment. On some be sure to read the reviews.

rollie
guiltless chips (I prefer guilt)
beyond description .

My all time favorite . I may have posted this one before, but do read the reviews.

I am a huge Alton fan, I even have a t-shirt with Death to Uni-taskers on it.

Re: Ridiculous kitchen gadgets - karyn - 03-22-2013

Alina, those are awesome!

I've seen the banana slicer before (perhaps because of you), but the rollie was so incredibly awful that I can't imagine who would buy it....and the guiltless chips could only be tasteless. Dehydrated potatoes need flavor!

Re: Ridiculous kitchen gadgets - DFen911 - 03-22-2013

Rollie...HAHAHAHAHA!!!!! I have never seen that one before

Re: Ridiculous kitchen gadgets - foodfiend - 03-22-2013

Oh my. That s'mores maker! And on Amazon it garnered 88 five-star votes!!! Wow. Just, wow.

Re: Ridiculous kitchen gadgets - labradors - 03-23-2013

Re: Rollie - Sorry. If it can't leave liquid yolks, I don't want it.