Cuisine at home Forums
Thursday Dinner, 5/23/13?? - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Thursday Dinner, 5/23/13?? (/showthread.php?tid=151093)

Thursday Dinner, 5/23/13?? - cjs - 05-23-2013

What's on the menu for everyone today??

Cuban Sandwiches here. I have never been a 'pickle' on a sandwich person, but I'm caving in and will add B&B pickles to mine today - can't go with Dills tho. (even if I did enjoy the deep fried dills I tried last week )

Re: Thursday Dinner, 5/23/13?? - Trixxee - 05-23-2013

I'm trying something new - the Quick Chicken Marengo from Issue 83. This is pantry cooking for me as I have everything. Instead of the cheesy grits I will make mashed potatoes since again, I have everything on hand.

Re: Thursday Dinner, 5/23/13?? - Trixxee - 05-23-2013

Already changed my mind - will serve the marengo over some type of pasta instead of potatoes.

Re: Thursday Dinner, 5/23/13?? - Harborwitch - 05-23-2013

Borrego-en-Mole-Coloradito is on the menu tonight. (Lamb shanks in Oaxacan Mole sauce. This is my last night of fancy cooking for a while. I had this dish many many years ago - with my Mom and was reminded of it when Bob and I had lunch at Azteca last week. Safeway had lamb shanks at 1.99 a pound so this dinner is perfection. I haven't figured out the sides yet. Depending on the way the day goes perhaps Osage Fry Bread with Hominy salsa.

Re: Thursday Dinner, 5/23/13?? - Mare749 - 05-23-2013

That sounds delicious, Sharon!

Since we now have cooler weather again and rain, no grilling tonight. So, decided to do my birthday dinner.

Re: Thursday Dinner, 5/23/13?? - cjs - 05-23-2013

Maryann, weather-wise are you guys o.k.??? How about Karyn - are you also in the path of this mayhem????

Well, now old dogs can learn new tricks - the B&B pickle on the Cuban sandwich was wonderful!

Maryann (and others, but I know Maryann and Ron love cuban sandwiches), this is how I layered this one - don't know how 'authenic' it is, but it sure was good.

[Image: May23CubanSandwich_zpscc739e63.jpg]

I had slo-cooked the pork and onions (with a Cuban flair) the other day, but the sandwich I saw mentioned cooking/infusing the onions and pork with:
garlic, oregano and o.j. So I just heated it all up together and let it sit for a while.

Mustard
Bread & Butter Pickle
roast pork (with the onions)
Swiss cheese
ham slices

Then grilled it with a weight. It was so delicious!

Maryann, what all do you put on your sandwich?

Re: Thursday Dinner, 5/23/13?? - Mare749 - 05-23-2013

Jean, that looks really good! Going on the menu very soon.

I make mine with either roasted pork slices or pulled pork (without BBQ sauce), a slice of good ham, a slice of swiss cheese, dijon mustard, and dill or B&B pickle slices. I like to use a good crusty artisan french bread and cut it into 6" pieces, or I make Alina's recipe for Cuban bread. Then I wrap them in foil and either bake in the oven or put on the grill to heat through.

Jean, is there any chance you just have never had a GOOD dill pickle? We love them.

Re: Thursday Dinner, 5/23/13?? - losblanos1 - 05-23-2013

Hey Maryann, we're on the same page tonight! It's pouring down rain and cold, so I'm making your B'day dinner also.

Oh, thanks for the reminder Blane - have to get it on the menu for next week!