Cuisine at home Forums
I Wanna Go To Chicago..... - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: I Wanna Go To Chicago..... (/showthread.php?tid=152059)

I Wanna Go To Chicago..... - cjs - 06-27-2013

Smoked Alligator

[Image: Frontier_gator_zps4e37090f.jpg]

At Chicago's Frontier, chef Brian Jupiter serves smoked alligator ribs with blackberry BBQ sauce on the daily menu. If that's not enough excitement, a group of eight or more diners can pre-order a whole gator, which is stuffed with grilled chicken breasts before serving. Check out our Bizarre Bites video for more on this eye-catching dish.
1072 N. Milwaukee Ave., Chicago; 773-772-4322

-----
Whooopie!

Re: I Wanna Go To Chicago..... - scotty71 - 06-27-2013

I had gator at gator Joes a couple of years back. Folks say it tasteas like chicken. (( DEFINITELY AN INSULT TO THE SIMPLES CHICKEN MEAL ) The swampers use soo much hot sauce that they cant tell how lousy a gator tasted SORRY its just a novelty as I see it.

Re: I Wanna Go To Chicago..... - cjs - 06-27-2013

Not a novelty to me!! But, first - welcome to the forum, Scotty71!! Good to see a new face around here. Hope you will continue to contribute good and bad reviews.

I had 'gator this past winter 2 or 3 times during a trip thru the south and loved every dish I had. I even made a gator pizza while on the road that we liked very much. AND, I brought home 2 1/2 lbs. of frozen gator to play with. Which I need to get busy and do.

Too bad the flavor was diminished by the hot sauce for you - that happens a lot.

Re: I Wanna Go To Chicago..... - Mare749 - 06-27-2013

Welcome Scotty71. Too bad you didn't like the gator. I haven't tried it yet...

My favorite aunt lives near there, Jean. I just might get to try that when we visit.

Re: I Wanna Go To Chicago..... - pjcooks - 06-27-2013

That's interesting. Good to remember. As it happens, son#2 is moving out there tomorrow, well, Mt Prospect, an hour away. A trip is in my future!

PJ

The one in the Robin pjs~

Re: I Wanna Go To Chicago..... - cjs - 06-27-2013

Both of you - remember doggie bags and I'll meet you at your house!!

I don't use hot sauce cept on my scrambled eggs but I think gator is a meat filled with grizzle- Lots of folks like it. I guess its my problem lol

Re: I Wanna Go To Chicago..... - Gourmet_Mom - 06-27-2013

I have only had tail meat fried in tempura batter, but we LOVED it! We were sad when it was all gone. Sorry you had a bad experience, Scotty71. But welcome to the forum! I hope you'll stick around!

Jean, that picture is hysterical!

Tempura batter sounds great-- 15 years back, I ran with an airboat bunch near the saint johns river and the lone cabbage fish camp served fried gator tail nuggets but never with anything to add interesting flavor. Now I have to try it again. Maybe gator tail teriyaki over steamed rice hmmmm

Re: I Wanna Go To Chicago..... - BarbaraS - 06-27-2013

If you go to Chicago, you HAVE to get a Portillos Beef Sammich!!

Okay, SS from 2010, please speak up!

Barbara