Cuisine at home Forums
Pulled Pork Question - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Pulled Pork Question (/showthread.php?tid=152333)

Pulled Pork Question - luvnit - 07-05-2013

Well, I had two (approx.) 7.5 lb Boston Butt roasted I put on the grill yesterday going low and slow. Adding wood chips as necessary. At one point I noticed that no 'wavey heat' was coming off the grill. Hmmm... must be out of propane. No bother, we have two more full tanks. Tried hooking them both up. Nothing worked. Bummer.

Okay so they had already been on the grill for 7 hours and the one I had the thermometer in was 173 degrees. I decided to put them in the oven. The grill had already done most of the important work anyway. Eventually, they were done. Right? Or so I thought.

The first one we cut into just fell apart beautifully and we made our sandwiches and they were really good. My hubby loves his electric knife and he sliced up the other one. But it was not quite as done and didn't fall apart. Bummer.

So, should I take this under-done pork, put it in the crockpot with some pork stock (happen to have pork stock in the freezer) and let it finish. Or what would any of you more experienced pulled-pork people do?

Re: Pulled Pork Question - Mare749 - 07-05-2013

My smoker runs at about 225 degrees and we usually do two pork butts that run 7-8 lbs. each. It takes about 12 hours until the meat pulls away from the bone easily. We usually stop adding wood after the first four hours and just replenish water in the pan as needed.

I'm not positive about this, but don't think that further cooking the meat will help at this point because it's already been sliced. But, someone else may know better.

Re: Pulled Pork Question - cjs - 07-05-2013

I think giving it some time in a crockpot may just work with a lot of liquid - worth a try. Luckily, you got to enjoy at least one of them.

I still have my old electric knife - I have one angel food/whipped cream dessert that has to be sliced with one and that's all I ever use it for anymore!!

Re: Pulled Pork Question - Gourmet_Mom - 07-05-2013

I agree with the idea of putting it in the crock pot with a little liquid. I would think it would turn out fine....that or a slow oven.

Re: Pulled Pork Question - Cubangirl - 07-05-2013

You could also try a pressure cooker. That would tenderize for sure.

Re: Pulled Pork Question - Lorraine - 07-05-2013

We did this last week with an underdone one. He sliced it about 3/4 inch thick, and put it down in pork gravy. Stock will work very well. It went into a 300 oven for about 1 hour. It was tender, moist, and fabulous.

Re: Pulled Pork Question - cjs - 07-05-2013

good to know it does work!

Re: Pulled Pork Question - Mare749 - 07-05-2013

Yes, it is. I especially like the idea of putting it in some pork gravy.